Saturday, August 20, 2016

Aloha!

What a crazy day! The time came at last for the eldest little bird to leave the Smithsonians nest and start her own story.
 
I really wanted to plant a tree right before I left for college. Fortunately, my dad was all for that, and helped me find a nice spot for my little crabapple red right in the front yard a few days ago.
 
"Aloha" means both "Hello" and "Good-bye". What a perfect shirt to wear!
 
Then this morning, it was time to part ways and head off into the world.
 
Farewell, sweet family!
Stockton, Dad, Jorja, and Preston
 
Preston and me
 
And Stockton too!
 
After good-byes had been had, Mom and Dad carted me up to Utah State University, where I'll be making my home for the next few years. I got unpacked pretty nicely and painlessly.
 
What a great room! Bit more than necessary,
I think sometimes, but I'll love it.
 
I also got to meet my roommate, Demetria. She's pretty cool and has been great to talk to and hang out with so far, so it looks like we'll be good friends this year. Her birthday is only three days after mine, so we might just have to celebrate together.
 
Demetria and Maysen
 
We each have a cactus 'sticker' on our door with our name on it. I did a bit of snooping around and it looks like all the girls have pink flowers on their cacti... except us. I guess our names sound a bit too masculine. Hopefully that doesn't raise any issues when someone inevitably spots us slipping inside!
 
When all the unpacking was over and done with, my parents walked around campus with me to hunt down all my classes. Then it was to hardware store to look for a lamp and a hook for my bathroom robe, and then to the grocery store for foodstuffs. Turns out they deliver! Well, for a few dollars more. I definitely think I'll be taking advantage of that feature throughout the year.
 
 Last kiss from Mom!
 
Dad showed me how to use the TV right as "Monsters University" was up to play. A fitting movie as I begin college life myself. Mom and Dad said their last good-byes then and started on the long two-hour drive back to Sandy. I put on my pajamas, dimmed the lights, grabbed my thickest blanket, and relaxed as the movie played.

Demetria ended up staying the night with her mom in the hotel for one last hoorah, which left me all nice and quietly alone, so when the movie was over I began working on this blog, and ended the day by crawling into my big soft bed. Turns out I left my blue Grandma Parry blanket back at the house. Well, it will give my family something to remember me by until I have the chance to pick it up. Hope they don't miss me too much! I'll keep you all in my heart!

That's all from here so far. Here's to filling up the blank pages of my future with many enjoyable adventures in the future!