Thursday, August 25, 2016

Connections Day 2

So I climbed a mountain that was on fire this morning. What did you do today?

Yeah, when my peer mentor casually mentioned that the canyon was currently aflame (or had been the night before, possibly), I naturally assumed we would be staying in the classroom. We did not. Okay then.

I carpooled up with two girls - Alison and Cassidy - and they sort of hung out with me throughout the rest of class today, so that was neat. Upon reaching the canyon, we went on a short hike through the underbrush and then climbed a steep slope of sliding rocks. Seriously, that thing was at maybe a forty-five degree angle. One of the girls who normally rides this scooter thing was also on crutches. She's a trooper!

We discussed our book and homework before eating some sandwiches and then headed back to campus. We had a short break before gathering in an auditorium in one of the biology buildings, where we asked questions to a panel of four professors, and later heard from a fifth guy who told us about communication and conflict. He was fun, so it was more enjoyable than it might sound.

When I made it back to Blue Square, I polished up my church talk while I ran some laundry. Now the thing's pretty much done. It takes about seven minutes to read aloud if I don't go too fast, so if I speak a little slower over the pulpit than that should be plenty of time. I'm speaking on keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Easy breezy.

I headed up to campus later on, after the buses had stopped for the evening. It seemed that the psychology major get-together (which I thought was classified under "Humanities and Social Studies") wouldn't be held until next week, but I thought that was weird because, well... all the others were scheduled for today.

In the end, I found out that the psychology major is more likely classified under the "College of Education and Human Services". Which had of course just ended. Ah, well. I got to play some Pokemon Go, and that cushioned the blow of having to walk up there and back by myself. Funny how it's easier to navigate campus with that app than the official USU one.

The rest of the evening was relaxing. I watched a video for homework while I ate some food, folded laundry as "Lilo and Stitch" played, and then grabbed water bottles and blankets and camped out with Demetria for more "Star vs The Forces of Evil". Turns out I'm a bit of a sucker for evil minions pushing their boss around the department store in a shopping cart and magical butterfly protagonists going completely psycho and hurting their friends when puberty gets to their heads. It's been nice to be an adult with my own place so far. Extra nice that I don't have to pay bills!