Saturday, October 28, 2017

Boo at the Zoo

Well, today I volunteered at the Boo at the Zoo event. The first thing I was assigned to do was man the fishing booth with a partner. I sat behind the curtain and hooked little rubbery plastic fish onto the lines that children flung over, while my partner handed them their fishing poles.




That was a pretty awesome task to earn volunteer hours for. I should have known I couldn't get away with it all day, though. After an hour or so, the volunteers were switched around the booths. I served my next hour  working at a Frankenstein monster-themed booth, where children were supposed to stick their hand up the monster's nose, and I would drop a small sucker into their hands. It was amusing to see how many children were too scared or grossed-out to do so.

After an hour or so at that activity, I was switched off to the Tic-Tac-Toe station, where kids tossed small beanbags into wooden boxes divided into nine sections. There weren't any prizes to hand out, just a lot of beanbag fetching to do. There were 12 beanbags - 6 in each of 2 colors - so that was a lot of hurrying around to pick them up and hand them off to the next kid, all without getting hit by the kid currently throwing. 

It started to get hot, and I needed to get some food. I took the time to record my usual observations of animal behavior before I left, though. It was nice to be there on Saturday. I saw some animals awake that usually aren't in the morning, and paid a visit to the lynx and bobcat, which are so far down their path that I haven't seen them much while I'm working. I grabbed a tasty cookie on my way out, regretting that I hadn't taken the chance to pet the reindeer before starting work at the Tic-Tac-Toe activity. Oh well. Maybe I'll have the chance tomorrow.