Friday, October 27, 2017

Pumpkin Enrichment

The Halloween spirit reached even the zoo today. The zoo hosts fun Halloween games and events for kids every year. I spoke with the zoo director in advance and was granted permission to stay for an extra two hours longer than normal so I could help set some things up.

We had received a delivery of tons of pumpkins, for some reason or another. I was instructed to use them to provide enrichment for the animals, by slicing off the "lids" and filling the insides with food. The lynx and the bobcat got pumpkins filled with chopped up fish and other meat, the monkeys were given pumpkins stuffed with all kinds of vegetables, and the birds received millets and seeds. I was even permitted to step inside the outdoor monkey enclosure and set the two pumpkins out for them. That was pretty neat.

Stepped into this outdoor bird enclosure to set down a pumpkin

I had one pumpkin left, and the director suggested I "chuck it over the fence for the yak", because he would like it. A little surprised, I did as he asked. The yak is blind. It was very interesting to watch him react to the sound of the pumpkin hitting the ground. He walked over to it, and slowed his pace as he neared. It took him a while to find it, but he finally knocked into it with his hoof. He kept himself entertained for a long time, pushing it around and knocking it into trees and the fence.

Someone brought in Little Caeser's pizza, and we all took a break for lunch. I ate a lot of it, as well as some sugar cookies that had been provided, and then we went about setting things up for the events that would take place in the afternoon. I'll be going back tomorrow to spend several hours running the activities. But for now, I had to go back to school.

A guest speaker came to visit us in fiction writing class today.