Friday, October 6, 2017

Ghost Story

Today I put the finishing touches on my short story and turned it in. Two years ago, I came up with a concept about a girl who sells her body, but she isn't a prostitute. Instead, she sells her body for ghosts to possess. The concept changed a  bit as I was writing it; instead of just being in this deal for money, she wants protection to get through the sketchy part of town. Also, I now have her approaching the ghost instead of my original idea of him approaching her.

The idea here is that at first, the dialogue makes it sound like she's asking him out on a date. In actuality, she's asking him if he wants to possess her body, while he at first rejects her. The reader doesn't know he's a ghost until the opening conversation is almost over and the possession is about to occur, though I did slip in several cues. For example, the ghost drifts from one room to another instead of walks. He lacks the ability to interact with certain objects, like his glasses, and so is forced to ignore the mess the irritating girl is making of his kitchen even though there are hints that he is OCD and longs to clean up after her. He even mentions that his skin is blue.

I think it's a pretty cool short story, and it's nice to finally have it done. I hope my classmates get a kick out of it too.