Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Sorting Out Visiting Teaching

Our first short stories were originally intended to be due in fiction writing today, but our teacher gave everyone a deadline extension. That was pretty nice, since I hadn't finished mine.

The reason they weren't due today is because instead of going to class as usual, we instead attended a poetry reading by someone named David Baker. It was... not my thing. He didn't introduce himself or give the title of his first poem, and his poems were quite strange, going from talking about drawing deer to ADHD and then back to deer. It was an incredibly long poem that took him at least five minutes to read, and I'd assumed he'd switched to a second poem in the middle. There weren't any rhymes, and I couldn't detect a beat pattern. He was just saying sentences, and not in a voice that particularly captured my imagination.

I stayed up until it was time for me to leave for Institute and snuck out. I guess I just don't get the point of poetry readings. It did make me realize that I could probably be successful if I would actually finish a small project instead of dragging all my novels out for 600,000+ words. One of these days I'll decide that breaking into the publishing world is more important to me than the details of character development across the lifespan and needlessly complex worldbuilding, but not for a little while longer.

The relief society presidency got together to sort out visiting teaching slips from 7 until 9.


We might have gone on longer, but I was getting really tired, and I had homework that needed to be finished. We were able to pair up a lot of people, though. Now it'll just be a few days of contemplation and prayer to as everything get finalized.

Truthfully, I am a little worried. There are so many records in the ward, but only about a third of the people whose records are here come to church. Hopefully everything works out well.