Monday, July 17, 2017

Treadmills and Sugar Cookies

Lincoln went off to scout camp today. Mom put me in charge of watching Bubs and Ange's kids while she took Stockton to diving. About five minutes after they left, I heard screaming, followed by footsteps running in all directions after they heard me call down to them. I came out to find Ella on the upstairs couch. I asked what had happened and she said she'd just come up a second ago. Hmm. 

So, I went downstairs and walked down the hall to the boys' bedroom. Abby and Millie had both thrown themselves into their beds and covered their heads with blankets, pretending to be asleep, though Millie was letting out choked sobs. I turned on the lights and went to check on her, and asked Abby what had happened. Apparently, the kids were playing around the treadmill when Abby accidentally turned it on at a high speed. Millie had been sitting on it, and got shoved into the wall. She had a friction burn on her arm where her skin had peeled.

I took her upstairs and had the story confirmed with Ella. She said that yes, this had happened, and was quite taken aback by my question of, "Why did you run upstairs and pretend you'd been sitting on the couch for ages instead of checking on your sobbing baby sister?" Oh well. Heat of the moment, I suppose.

I soothed Millie by running an ice back up and down her arm for about ten minutes. That helped a lot, but she was still pretty upset. Jorja had offered to make cookies earlier, so I sent Preston down to ask her if she could start now. She came up and got all three girls to assist her in mixing the dough, choosing cookie cutters, and baking tons of sugar cookies. Kept them entertained for about three hours. I made macaroni and cheese for lunch, and Jorja and I tidied up the kitchen before Mom came home. Well, not too bad, overall!