Monday, September 18, 2017

Basketball Baptism

Some things I did today: Studied for upcoming exams before heading up to campus to buy some scantrons. I'll need those for my Measurements tests. After that I went to fiction writing. Mostly normal stuff.

Today was my first day at my new Institute class, however. My teacher was very friendly and joking when I came in. Much more lively than my old teacher. He was funny and kind of reminded me of Mom's brothers. The class was huge, too. I guess that happens when you're in a cornerstone class instead of just a little side early morning class.

Our lesson was on the different types of sin commitment and repentance. My teacher explained that there are sins committed because of weakness and sins committed because of rebellion. Your reaction to different sins (godly sorrow vs. sorrow of being caught vs. no remorse) can determine whether your heart is in the right place and whether you can truly be forgiven if you repent, if you repent for that sin at all.

Speaking of the heart not being in the right place, my teacher gave us a scenario. He said, "You know how every Church basketball team seems to have that one nonmember on it because they're really good? Imagine if a change was made that you had to be a member to play basketball. The bishop calls you in and tells you that we need to get that man baptized so he can play. He says, 'I don't want to know how you get him baptized- just do it'. So, you and your friends approach the nonmember and ask him about the Church. He says he's not interested. So, you put him in a headlock, drag him to the font, say the prayer, and dunk him."

Is that a valid baptism? Why not? The Bishop said it was okay, the priesthood authority was there, the person was immersed, and there were witnesses. But, the Holy Spirit wouldn't uphold that baptism due to the heart not being in the right place, and not being truly converted.

My teacher then told us that this is how his dad was baptized- except without the headlock. His dad had little interest in the Church and had never taken missionary discussions, but wanted to keep playing basketball, so he was baptized very quickly. He didn't even know the name of the Church; years later he was in the army, he wrote down Mormon when asked what his religion was. Eventually, through the army, he met up with some missionaries and was converted for real.

It was definitely an interesting story and a cool lesson for my first time there. This teacher seems a lot more engaging than my old one. I think I'll enjoy his class, and it's great that it's on my lighter day too. Since this is a cornerstone class, though, that means there is required reading to keep up with. Hopefully I don't fall too far behind.

I had dinner at the Marketplace tonight and attended a study session for my Measurements class taught by the TA. He hinted that the example questions we had been sent earlier in the week were actual questions from the test. Which was good, because I'd looked over those, and then we went over them in the study session. Measurements is a confusing class, but I'm starting to get my bearings. Hopefully I'm able to pull through with decent grades by the end.