Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Gibbs and Groceries

Got my assigned reading done and squeezed out a bit of time to write this morning, just to take a break from schoolwork. I ended up getting a call from Gibbs Smith, much to my surprise. Apparently he was at the Smith Family reunion. He also presented at WIFYR, though I wasn't particularly impressed- mainly because his focus is on picture books, not on novels like what I write. Still, he was excited to hear that I enjoy writing, and eager to send me some newsletter for his publishing company... so I gave him the go ahead. I guess I'll keep an eye out for that.

I had my groceries delivered in the evening today, because I knew I'd be home to receive them. All the surrounding slots had been taken. Unfortunately, I received a text asking if I could meet with the bishop at 7. I'd thought I could make the appointment - after all, my groceries were supposed to arrive between 6 and 7, and it seemed unlikely they'd arrive at 7 on the dot - only to realize too late that the groceries were scheduled to arrive any time between 6 and 8.

So I texted back early this afternoon and asked if I could reschedule the appointment. The guy on the other end was reluctant, and told me to try to make it if I could, and to keep him updated. So, I let him know how things were going over the next few hours, when there was no sign of groceries and my appointment neared. He said that the bishop would probably be in his office until 7:30, so it was "totally fine" and "no worries" if I came that late. I received my grocery delivery just after 7:30. Just as I was putting them away, I received a text from the bishop asking if I was going to show up for my appointment.

A bit frustrated, I replied that I'd tried to cancel the appointment due to this conflict with the groceries, and that I was sorry. I told him that I could run over to the church right now if he was willing to wait, and he said I could.

So I did. I was called to be the relief society secretary for my ward. That's a higher position than my visiting teaching supervisor last year, and I think that will be a good thing. Now I get to have a hand in everyone's pie, so to speak, and hopefully we can bring more order into this ward. For one thing, it would be great to get visiting teaching assignments out as soon as possible. I guess we'll have to wait and see.