Friday, September 1, 2017

Minor Trouble with an English Major

I met with the English adviser today. It took a while to find the right building: Old Main. Specifically, I was right outside the right door of the right building, and had I walked through it then I would have been exactly where I needed to be, but I hesitated and asked an official-looking older professor guy if this was the place I thought it was. He told me no and pointed me to the opposite side of campus.

Luckily, I was smart enough to raise my eyebrows at this comment. On my way over, I had stopped in the main office of the TSC to confirm that I was heading to the right place. The last time I talked to the English advisers, their office had been on the TSC's third floor. They had just recently moved, and I guess the professor guy didn't realize that. So I was pretty sure I was in the right location. But I had been given an abbreviation and thought I was looking for a building with a name that matched it. I couldn't find one.

I decided to head inside Old Main anyway, though I circled around to its front door in search of any sign that maybe Old Main was a nickname and its real name matched the abbreviation I'd been given. No luck. In the end, with my appointment time threateningly close, I called the English adviser office and asked someone to direct me to the proper place. What do you know- it was the first thing I would have seen if I had used the door that I almost used before I talked to that professor. I guess he didn't notice the sign. Shame. He could have turned around and told me and it would have saved me some stress.

I was a few minutes late for my appointment. I had to sign in on their computer, and it informed me in a stern sort of way that I was late, I might need to reschedule, but the adviser I had come to see had been notified of my arrival anyway. I was kind of amused by that. Time and time again, it seems, the psychology department is a lot more friendly when it comes to human interaction, and the English department gives off an aloof and snobbish air. Oh, stereotypes. I couldn't help but notice that the computer said "Your are late for your appointment", too. So close.

My adviser's name is Susie. She talked to me for a nice long while, and recommended some classes for upcoming semesters. It never fails to amuse me how the advisers I've met always want to schedule every class for all my years of college right then and there. They pull up these fancy Excel documents and arrange things so painstakingly, without asking which order I want to take the classes in or sometimes even which classes I want to take. Susie explained to me that since I'm double majoring, and psychology is my main major, she won't be the one I come to see about my generals and other graduation requirements. She just does English stuff. Secretly, I'm kind of glad about that. True, the psychology advisers may be on the very top floor of their building and down some long and complicated halls, but I do feel more comfortable communicating with them.

Susie told me that I should wait a week or so before I officially declared myself an English major, so I could think my decision over. It was hard to hold back my laughs at that. Would I have come here and specifically requested she help me declare myself an English major if I wasn't serious about it? It makes sense, though- when someone hears what the requirements are, maybe they would change their mind, especially if they're already tackling another major like me. But, I want to be a traditionally published author. Writing is my deepest passion, and the thing I enjoy doing most in the world. This is what I want. It's what I've wanted ever since I was a kid. I've thought about it plenty.

I went to the library to return the short story book I'd checked out. I stayed there for a few hours and caught up on my blog until it was time for my fiction writing class. Then I came home, relaxed a bit, ate, and got to work on homework. It's been a busy week, but somebody's got to do it.