Sunday, September 17, 2017

I'd Call My Dad

I felt pretty sick today. Oddly enough, my eyelids especially felt really heavy and sore. I had a pretty runny nose and started having a bit of trouble breathing. Not to the point that my life was at risk or anything, but that I felt congested and it was really bothering me. This probably had something to do with the fact that I stopped using my inhaler eleven days ago so I could attend my laser appointment. I had Mom check my forehead so she could help me decide if I was well enough to go to church. She said I wasn't warm. Really? I wasn't feeling too well, but okay. I figured I'd sit quietly and not open my mouth too much or touch anyone. Maybe that would prevent other people from getting sick.

I'd also been talking to Mom about my crazy class schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had to be up on campus pretty early every day and stay until fairly late. Yes, I have a lunch break where I could potentially go home instead of eating on campus, but with all the construction and crazy bus routes, there's really no telling how long it would take to get down there and back. Plus, I don't have tons of lunch food in my apartment anyway. What I do have, I'd kind of like to save for dinner. I like eating on campus. Anyway, it gets pretty exhausting to be running around on Tuesdays and Thursdays every week.

Mom suggested that I switch my Institute class to Mondays and Wednesdays. I was pretty surprised- I hadn't even thought about doing that. But it made sense. Institute was my early class each day, so switching it out would mean I didn't have to go up to campus until just after 10:00 each morning, giving me plenty of time to get ready and make sure I've gathered all my things for the day. And, I haven't been liking this class very much anyway. So today, we made the switch. Fingers crossed.

Preston had really hoped I would make macaroni while I was here. I'd told him yesterday that we could have it for lunch today. I got Dad to help out a bit, since I didn't want my sickness to spread to the food I was making.

Church went well, and after it was over, Dad drove me back up to school and dedicated my apartment. Last year, my home teachers had offered to dedicate it for me. This year, I decided it was a good thing to do and I didn't want to wait too long. One of elder's quorum presidency, I guess (I don't really know how they organize themselves) had come into relief society last Sunday and written a phone number on the board so that we all had someone to contact since official home teachers haven't been assigned yet. I'd considered calling them, but as the guy wrote the number, he said, "So if there's like, ghosts in your house, we can come give you a blessing or something". Hmm. Well, that wasn't really why I wanted my apartment dedicated, but now I felt weird about asking.

To sum it up, I was glad that Dad came up with me to dedicate the place himself. It was kind of nicer that way than having it done by strangers, even if we are in the same ward. Plus, I'm not sure if they're allowed to come over if I'm the only one living in my apartment... though, they came over last year at a time when Demetria wasn't around. Huh.

While Dad drove me up, I managed to finish my "sudden fiction" assignment for fiction writing class. It's a little three-page story about an employee who gives an elevator pitch to his boss about why he should be fired instead of accepting the promotion he's been offered. Of course, his boss decides that his debate skills are very good and decides to give him a better promotion- much to the horror of the other employees in the elevator who are watching this play out. Also, since our story was supposed to focus on a physical fight scene, I have a bit of hand slapping going on, because I really liked this elevator pitch idea and the hand slapping fight was the only thing I could think of.

So tonight I submitted the piece- and realized immediately afterwards that the page length for this assignment was actually 3-4 pages, not 2-3 like I'd thought. Oh. It had been pretty hard to condense everything I wanted to say down to three pages, and a little extra room might have been nice. But, my story takes place in an elevator, and it's probably about as long as the elevator ride allows anyway.

I still wasn't feeling too well tonight. I took a long, hot shower and tried to get some work done. Busy day tomorrow, and now I have a new Institute class straight after fiction writing too. Hopefully I enjoy it, and hopefully I don't forget to go.