Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Crazy Coyote

I have pictures and a video I want to add to my blog, but I haven't been able to get my phone to upload things directly to my computer anymore. Instead, I have to attach pictures in emails and send them to myself bit by bit. Some days I don't have the energy to do that. Oh well. I'll save those for another day.

The video I wanted to post is about the coyotes at the zoo. There is one large male and one smaller female. I've been monitoring their behavior for my ethograms. Normally, they lie on rocks or trot around their enclosure. Last Friday, I saw something bizarre. The female coyote started digging. After a minute or two, she unearthed what appeared to be a dead rodent. She proceeded to pick this rodent up by the tail and fling it into the air and across the enclosure, then chase it down and throw it again at top speed. I was shocked that I caught this quick moment during the half hour I happened to be observing the coyotes, and so was the zoo director when I told him what I'd seen.

I wasn't fast enough to catch the funniest part, with the coyote flinging the squirrel like crazy, but I whipped out my phone and caught a little bit of the action. Someday I may be able to share that video, but not today.