Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Pop Exam

I saw my measurements teacher in my research methods class today. I was quite surprised, as I didn't remember noticing him there before. Was he taking her class? That seemed odd. As we were walking out the door, I struck up a conversation with him, since his class was next on my schedule. He was actually monitoring my research methods teacher because she's up for a potential promotion to be a "senior lecturer." That makes more sense.

Measurements class was... not enjoyable today. We had an exam that caught me off guard. Somehow in all the craziness surrounding going home over the weekend for Preston's birthday and my laser hair removal appointment, followed by my nonstop work on my short story for Fiction Writing class, this test didn't even make a bleep on my radar. Of course I was highly stressed when I walked in and realized we were taking an exam, but fortunately, we turn in the previous class's notes every day as a form of attendance. We always get those handed back out in file folders when we take exams. 

I think I did okay, but it wasn't how I would have liked to spend class. It's especially annoying because most college classes allow you to spend the entire class time taking as much time as you want on an exam, and you can leave as soon as you finish. In this class, we only have half an hour to complete the exam, and then have to sit through a lecture and take our notes for the next class period. It makes for a long day. Oh well. There's a lot of material to cover, and I only attend this class two times a week instead of three.

I went to the Marketplace for lunch, because I knew I'd be staying on campus all day. Some people were forming a study group for Measurements. Some time ago, a girl who is also in one of my other classes talked to me about the peer tutoring she offers at the computer lab, but when I suggested I stop in to see her, she suddenly became super hesitant, saying that while she's there, she'll likely be busy helping other people.

When I heard her discussing a study group again, I asked if I could join them. We agreed to meet in the YETC computer lab this evening, and better yet, now that it wasn't a test week in the class she usually helps with, the peer tutoring girl could spend more time focusing just on us. I've really been struggling with this measurements class, so I was excited. Of course, when I agreed to join the study group, I naturally assumed we would be studying before our next measurements exam instead of immediately after. Silly me.

Well... I arrived at the YETC at the time we'd agreed on. It ended up being an hour and a half before anyone showed. The girl I share two classes with came in, glanced at me without saying anything, then sat down away from me, pulled out her things, and read to herself. I waited a few minutes, because now I wasn't sure if this was the same girl, and I didn't want to make it awkward. Finally I got up and went over to talk to her. She confirmed that she was the same girl, and apologized for being late. She said that she and the others had agreed to come later, but since she didn't have my number, she couldn't text me. I said it was all right and asked if I could review my notes with her. She said she didn't want to get all her stuff out until the other members of the group arrived. We sat in silence for awhile.

Half an hour later, the other boy and girl arrived, having just come from taking an exam for their neuroscience class. The girl I was with immediately became very animated and pulled out her things. The boy is her husband's close friend. The three of them chatted about the neuroscience test, and then about how the class was going and what they thought of the teacher. Then they talked about their social lives, their upcoming plans, and their lunches. I waited patiently, but inside, I was mentally exhausted. There is no homework for the measurements class besides typing up your notes on the previous class's lecture, and bringing them with you to the next class. Our grade is solely dependent on our test scores. I'd been looking through my own notes for two hours by this point, and I had questions. But, knowing I was the odd person out, I stayed quiet. For another half hour.

I did gather some information about teachers and classes to keep my eyes out for, which was useful, but eventually the other three people in the "study group" clearly began to get uncomfortable with my presence. They apologized for talking so much, explaining that they had just come from a difficult exam and this was their brief break before diving into studying. I'd sensed that, which was why I hadn't tried to push them into studying. I'd thought I'd done a good job of hiding my stress in an attempt to not make them feel awkward, but evidently not. Now, it seemed, it was finally time to study.

To start us off, the peer tutoring girl asked both the boy and the girl if they had any questions. They both did. Several, in fact. She worked with them both on topics that I understood, while I again hovered awkwardly to the side. As she was winding down her explanation and it looked like I would finally get to ask about something I was struggling to understand, a stranger came into the YETC and booted up a nearby computer. Once she logged in and started working, the peer tutoring girl immediately left our table to ask if this girl needed any advising. Okay, I thought, that's fair. She was a tutor for a particular class, after all, and these were her office hours. She should help people who came in. Only, it turned out that girl wasn't in that math class at all. Or doing math. They held a conversation for awhile anyway.

When the peer tutoring girl returned to our table, I managed to ask one of my questions, or maybe two, before another girl arrived to join our study group. The peer tutor immediately turned all her attention on her, asking her what her name was and how she was doing in the class. I waited.

One of the other members of the study group asked the peer tutor girl to explain one topic that I had asked earlier. When I'd asked it, she'd brushed me off, saying that if she could draw it, it would be much easier than trying to explain. Now that her friend had suggested it, she suddenly became eager to draw the model out. As it turns out, it was now time for the YETC to close for the night. The other members of the group all agreed to rent a study room in the library so the peer tutor could draw the model on a whiteboard in multiple colors. I hesitated. It was getting late. I needed to get home and register for my classes. Not that I could register for another hour or two... and I still had questions that needed answering.

Thus, we went to the library and spent the next half hour there. I don't see why the peer tutor was so insistent on using different colors to tell the models apart if she was going to draw a grid to organize them. I tried not to feel irritated when the others in the group praised the peer tutor for being so clear and helpful, when I felt like a question that I had been trying to get an answer to for three hours now could have been answered within the first ten minutes when the girl and I were alone together. I think study groups simply aren't my thing.

I walked home from the library in the dark. It was a bit lonely, so I was grateful to bump into a couple who were also walking down the 8th East hill to the stadium parking lot, very near where I was going. It's always nice to travel in groups when it gets dark.

Tonight, I stayed up and registered for classes. Using the online Create a Plan feature ahead of time to build my schedule, save it, and then be able to upload it and instantly claim a seat in all the classes I want is very nice. Mom's told me about how when she was my age, she'd have to call a phone number constantly, trying to get in and register, while competing against a bunch of other students who were all doing the same thing. And when her mom was in school it was even worse, because they had to come and wait in line to sign up for classes... one class at a time. You weren't likely to get most of the classes you wanted, even if you arrived early. Technology has certainly come a long way.