Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Grin Reaper

Mom drove me back up to USU to attend my usual ward. Easy to do when my family also has 1:00 church like me, but in a few months that might prove to be more difficult.

After church, I worked on my second short story submission that's due in Fiction Writing tomorrow. I had planned to write either an alien transfer student in a small town who met a blind girl while trying to abduct her cow by walking it down the street, or something about two alternate personalities each trying to throw a surprise birthday party for the other with help from a sister or girlfriend.

Instead, I scrapped what I had and ended up following a completely new idea about a five-year-old Grim Reaper who doesn't understand the concept of death, and accidentally showed up a few minutes early to his first job. In this case, he interrupted an impulsive teenager who was about to kill himself, and the teen immediately felt awkward because he couldn't just kill himself with a child in the room. The two of them bond over comics. Specifically, five-year-old Nort found a super villain who looked very skeletal like him, and asked Tyler if this was the hero of the story, and why everyone was being mean to him. Fun stuff like that.

Anyway, this Grim Reaper idea worked out because we were supposed to research a profession and work it into our short story. Nort is very innocent, but also very insistent that he's right about things. I'm pleased with how it's shaping up for something that I wrote in a lot less time than I intended to, so I guess I'll save those other ideas for another day.