Monday, November 13, 2017

One Longer Essay

Today I fasted, since I missed Fast Sunday. I spent all morning finishing my Grim Reaper short story.  The minimum page length is 8 and the maximum is 20. My ghost story, "Something Blue", maxed out at 20 pages, and I realized how much of a pain it was to read through all the comments I received and make revisions in the week and a half I had to do it before my revision was due. This time, I was determined to stay around 8 pages. Well, that didn't really work out. I ended up maxing out at 20 pages, right to the last possible line. I feel pretty good about what I wrote, up until the end. The ending is rushed and cramped, but overall I'm happy with the piece considering I wrote 20 pages in a total of about 10-12 hours. For comparison, unless a page I write is overly skewed towards dialogue over exposition, it usually takes me an hour to complete a full page.

I'm glad I got that done and submitted this morning. I actually went to my Apprenticeship class today. We only have it a few Mondays during the semester. Today we talked about our upcoming final paper. That'll be nice to get done.

I was caught off guard when our professor explained it, though. Apparently we were supposed to be doing TWO apprenticeships this summer: A research one and an applied one. We had received two "contracts" to fill out at the beginning of the semester. I knew that, but I'd had the zoo director sign both. I'd combined these into one with my apprenticeship at the zoo, because I was studying the animals in person as well as researching their needs online and in the reports found in the binders at the zoo that listed their dietary needs, medical reports, behaviors, and so on. I'd thought that was what I was supposed to do. I'd assumed the 40 hours we were supposed to complete was in total, not 40 applied hours and 40 research hours.

I was sweating pretty hard while sitting in that room. How was I supposed to find another apprenticeship opportunity and get another 40 hours of volunteering done before I had to turn in this essay in a few weeks? I stayed after to talk to the professor after class, and she cleared things up a bit. Luckily, there were several of us in the same position. If your applied and research apprenticeships are combined into one, you only have to write one final essay, but it has to be a few pages longer than the separate essays. This seems like something that should have been specified more clearly in the syllabus, but I was too relieved to be annoyed.

Apparently my teacher doesn't like to make a big deal about it, which is why she hadn't explained it until the end of the semester, because when people try to write one long essay for the same apprenticeship instead of doing two separate ones, it's "too confusing for them." Okay.