Thursday, November 9, 2017

Lunch With Randall

I had an interesting experience over lunch. Normally when I eat lunch at the Aggie Marketplace, I try to find a booth seat near the soda and milk fountains. When I sit there, I can't hear the annoying political or sports news cycling endlessly on the TVs. Usually, the other person I sit with is quite happy to let me pull out my laptop and work on writing or class assignments, because they're usually doing the same thing. It's a lot easier to concentrate on working without hearing the TVs.

Today, I sat at a booth across from a student a few years older than me by the name of Randall. To my surprise, he said that this was the second time I'd sat with him. He was intrigued to hear that I was a psych major and kept wanting me to guess what he was thinking, his interests, and where he was from. Specifically, I asked where he was from, and he smiled and told me to guess. I commented that he was eating his pizza with a fork, which is why I thought he may not have been born in America, and I mentioned that my behavior teacher who is from Bulgaria told us that she did the same thing. Turns out he was  from the Dominican Republic. We ended up talking all through lunch about school, religion, and baseball. Even though I didn't get any work done, it was a nice change of pace.