Friday, November 3, 2017

Two Hikes

Today was a pretty nice day. I did my Track Changes reviews on the two stories we're reviewing for Fiction Writing class this morning, and then rode the bus out to the zoo. There were pretty decorative lights strung up for the Zoo Lights event all over the place.

I hopped the fence to gather browse (branches and leaves to chew on) for the muntjacs in the quiet rear parts of the zoo. It's nice that it hasn't snowed yet, because that job will be a lot more difficult when it does.

Some browse I collected

Then I did my ethograms and visited the birds before heading back to my apartment.

The light in my bedroom nearest to my desk has been burned out for several days. Because the bulbs are more yellow than white, it feels like they don't give off very much light anyway when the sun has set and I'm trying to work. I was pleased to get back from the zoo and see that the repair crew had gotten my request to fix it, and had come by to do so while I was out.


I actually ran across the two repairmen in the elevator, and noticed they had light bulbs. I started talking to them on the way up, and when they realized which room I was in, they looked at each other and one said, "Oops... That's what we went down to get. The ladder." They went back down to get it, and then they changed the light for me. It's nice to have my room be a little brighter again.

I rested up for a little while before my Fiction Writing class. In class, we workshopped one story about a hike, and one about a girl named Gemma who had been adopted as a child and was now looking after young children at a daycare. It's funny to catch other writers' mistakes sometimes... For instance, the writer of the Gemma story was shocked when we asked her who Eliza was. She had mistakenly switched between two names for her narrator more than twice throughout the story. She waved it off in such a joking manner, though.

After class, a small group of us gathered in the quad to chat as we were left the building. Both the girl who wrote the story about the hike and the girl who wrote the Gemma story were there, along with several other classmates. We didn't mean to talk so long, but we spent about an hour standing around, sharing ideas for the rewrite (many of them silly, like replacing the dobermans with chihuahuas that were up to their ears in snow, and I mentioned how when the hikers came across the dead mountain lion, I was wondering why the hikers who had no supplies didn't consider eating it, and instead went on to confront the poachers). We all laughed a lot. We've now read two stories about a hike in this class, and someone suggested that the writers of those two stories (who were both in the group with us) join forces when they wrote their revisions. All the hiking characters could meet each other and go on a hike together.

I don't know all my fellows in this class very well, but it was great that we had a common interest and struggle - writing and revising - and we were able to joke and enjoy each other's company.