Sunday, October 14, 2018

Dickyi Goes to Church

While I was eating breakfast, Dickyi surprised me by announcing she was going to church today. Not sure how to react to that, I asked her whether she meant my church, or some sort of Buddhist church in the area. She said that she was going to attend a Chinese-speaking ward with her friend Maddie, because she thought it would be fun. She said Maddie had told her to wear a dress, but that she didn't have any. I offered to let her wear one of my dresses or at least one of my skirts, but she said she'd just go with what she had. I crossed my fingers that she would have a good experience, sweating silently.

I for one enjoyed church, and finally met face-to-face with the girl I've been assigned to minister to. We've communicated through email and texting so far. Her name is Whitney, and she's working to become a teacher and teach 7th/8th-grade math. She's also getting married on December 15th down in St. George, and both she and her sister made passing comments to those nearby that "If anyone wanted to come down and enjoy the warm weather, they were welcome to." I'd love to try and manage that.

This afternoon, I carefully asked Dickyi how her day had been. She enthusiastically explained that "everyone in the Church is super nice" and they talked about "the woman with the baby," which was possibly Mary and Jesus. I don't know if she'll attend again, but it was a relief to hear about a positive experience after a long two weeks of hearing my religion bashed in essays and online comments.

I spent the evening alternating between writing, adding to my scripture journal, and reviewing my notes for my Consumer Behavior final tomorrow. I feel like I know all the material I expect to be tested on... I just hope I haven't missed anything. Maybe studying for this class came super easily to me because it overlaps so much with psychology. I already knew 90% of the vocabulary terms, which gives me an automatic leg up. I think I'm just fretting because in college-level classes, I expect to struggle with the material a bit, but this class was a breeze except for a few quiz questions that were super picky about years and numbers. 

I'm going to get plenty of sleep tonight. Hopefully my final goes well.