Friday, October 26, 2018

She's Siiixteen

I didn't have any classes today, which was nice. It gave me the opportunity to work on my assignments. Specifically, I had a very difficult assignment for Literary Analysis due tonight. The writing prompt was released at midnight, and we only have 24 hours to read and respond to the assignment. I read through it several times this morning, but only grew more confused. Finally, I gave up struggling with it and did some laundry. I washed my sheets so I would have a nice, fresh bed to come home to after my trip home this weekend. That's nice to do every once in awhile.

Stockton and I drove down for Jorja's surprise birthday party today. Traffic was horrid in a "we went 1 mile in 5 minutes and were forced to stop in the middle of an intersection on a green light" kind of way, but we made it eventually- and before Jorja arrived, too. Mom had rented a pavilion and hired a D.J., and Dad whipped up cotton candy for everyone. There were colorful cards for everyone to write notes and leave them in a basket. I was in the middle of writing mine when Jorja arrived at the party with her last few friends. Everyone cheered and shouted "Happy birthday." I hurried up to give her a hug. By the time I reached her, she was in tears. I think she enjoyed the surprise.

I spent most of the party playing with Preston, spinning him around and things. We slipped out to the playground at one point. I wanted to try the monkey bars, but when I saw them, I said, "Oh, I don't know if I can do this." Preston scoffed and said, "They're just monkey bars," until he climbed up beside me, reached out his hands, and said, "Oh." The monkey bars weren't your average, straightforward monkey bars. They branched off in two directions to form a circle in the middle. Doable, but unexpected. At Preston's request, I gave him a boost and he crawled across the top. He said his hands were shivering by the end, but he enjoyed it.

Mom allowed me to duck out of the party early, which was nice of her. I spent the rest of the night struggling through my literary analysis assignment. It was a lot of work to do in a very short time, but I'm glad to have it done.