Tuesday, October 30, 2018

I Asked Out a Boy (and I Liked It)

I had creative nonfiction this morning, and managed to swing by the writing lab in between it and Institute in order to print out the essays I need to peer-review by Thursday. I ended up on Quinton's bus after Institute was over. At some point or other, he ended up asking how my group chocolate project was coming along. I paused, then said, "Well, we present this Thursday, and then we'll finally be done. Actually, I was thinking I might go down to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory by the Cold Stone and celebrate after it's all over, and I was wondering if you might be interested in joining me."

He paused for a second too and said, "This Thursday, right?" He told me when he got off work (7:30), and that he would love to join me. We exchanged contact information and learned each other's last names for the first time. When he heard mine, he said, "Oh, that's my mom's maiden name. Maybe we're related." There were a few seconds of silence. I said, "Well, I hope not, because that's going to make Thursday awkward." Laughs were had.

Since Quinton was driving and couldn't put in my information, I sent him a text so he would know it was me, and clarified that I was flexible as to where we went out, because I wasn't sure what his food tastes were. Later, he texted back, suggesting either the underground pizza restaurant that I enjoy, or Angie's Diner. I noticed that he suggested both a more casual location and a more formal one, and left the final decision up to me. I can work with that. So, I guess we're going to Angie's now. He upgraded my chocolate shop / potential ice cream trip to a full-on dinner. Smooth.

I stepped off the bus at Blue Square and paid a visit to the Aggie Chocolate Factory. To my disappointment, it was shut down at this time, so I couldn't see the sacks of beans on display very well (I'd been hoping to learn which countries the beans were coming from for the product line my group is creating). Oh well.

While I was staring through the window, a boy sitting on one of the restaurant benches ended up taking to me. His name was Braden. He was nice, and talked to me for about half an hour about chocolate and school and things. I was able to interview him for research purposes, and he offered some interesting insights my group hadn't considered. Apparently, he's heard rumors that the large wall in the middle of the downstairs area might be knocked down soon, which would open the entire room up and create a more social environment. When my group met with the owners of the Chocolate Factory, creating a social "coffee shop" environment was high on their list. Braden also mentioned that he often comes here to study because it's quiet, but that once the Factory opens, he might not hang around anymore if it's too loud. Good things to know.

Back in my room, I completed four assignments and quizzes for my Sensation and Perception class. I'm now officially finished with that class, except for a presentation I'm giving on November 14th, and the participation points I'll earn for attending everyone else's presentations. Not bad!

My chocolate group were meeting up again tonight with the hopes of finishing as much of our project as absolutely possible. Quinton was driving the evening bus, so we were able to talk and finalize plans a bit more. My chocolate group worked for 5-6 hours tonight, designing our graphics and organizing the results of our survey. It was 10:00 by the time I headed home on the evening bus (not driven by Quinton this time). It will be very nice to have this project over and done with, but it has to be done. At least it's an enjoyable topic!