Thursday, May 11, 2017

Belated Crepes and Workshops

I forgot to mention that on Tuesday, Mom and I went out to The Original Pancake House for breakfast with Grandpa. I even took a picture!

It was fun to have him along, and while we were out we sent back my rented textbooks in the mail, and checked out Best Buy too. Mom wanted to pick up a flashdrive. I looked quite awhile for a cool gift that I could get Dad for his birthday, but nothing really called to me. Oh well. I'll have to think harder.

Okay, back to Thursday. I signed up for a writers' conference called LDStorymakers. Today was an optional day, with two workshops you could register for and attend if you so desired to. I had Worldbuilding and Magic Systems taught by Charlie Holmes. It was pretty neat. There were only three people at my table, along with Charlie, and we were able to share stories and talk. She brought us Oreos too!

After a snack of M&Ms, I met with Traci Abramson for Plot Chat. Our table was more crowded this time. It was nice enough, but I made the mistake of going first, so my fellows didn't want to weigh in on my problems much. When I would explain something I was struggling with, they would look down or shrug and say, "I don't know. Good luck." Not all the time - I did get some good advice, even though in my mind Traci seemed a bit resistant to my idea that I didn't want my main characters to end up together romantically - but it was annoying enough that I regretted going first. I was very involved in the projects of the other five people. I guess I was just expecting a little more feedback than, "Make sure there's lots of tension between them". Oh, well.

Still, I was able to spend three hours in each workshop and meet some people, so that was pretty nice. The rest of the conference should be enjoyable too!