Friday, May 5, 2017

Edible Food Coloring

Tonight, Preston treated me to his school's carnival. There were plenty of bounce houses and little carnival games. Preston racked up a few prizes, and he bought a giant sticky hand for a dollar.






The first lady we passed as we were coming into the carnival had a cupcake walk set up. For a dollar, you could walk around the circle of numbers. When the music stopped, if the lady called your number, you could pick out a cupcake. Preston was a little skeptical, saying that "A 1 in 12 chance doesn't seem like very good odds". I was pretty sure that her bowl of numbers was really a bowl of folded blank papers, and that she would call out whatever number someone is standing on when the music stops. It made sense that when you pay, you're in until your number gets called.

At one point, Preston also showed me the Lone Peak Nature Trail, and we walked along it. It's this little path at the top of the hill overlooking the school grounds:


The hot toy of the evening was disappearing ink in a little bottle that sprayed. Kids went nuts over it. They ran about spraying each other, and many, many empty bottles ended up on the ground. I tried to get a picture of all of them, but the picture below doesn't really do it justice.


Preston and I speculated about what might be in the bottles. I suggested food coloring, then corrected myself to say, "Edible food coloring so it won't stain clothes". He got quite a kick out of "edible food coloring". I'd actually been thinking of those colored pictures that you can take from paper and put on sugar cookies. I think those are a thing- I had them once in kindergarten and have never seen them since. Ah, well.

There was also this hot air balloon ride. From the outside, it looked like a tiny bounce house. One attendant would be inside, helping kids onto the seat. The other would hold the flap of the "bounce house" shut to keep the hot air in, which would lift the balloon through the roof and bring the seat to the plastic window. When he released the flap, the air would whoosh out.

Preston at the top window
just before his seat dropped

The line for it was long all night, and moved slowly, but I'd never seen this type of ride before and I really wanted to go. Towards the end, Preston relented. He was a good sport, even though he had to wait in line for ages with nothing much to do.

Afterwards, I bought some nachos for myself, and then relented for snocones as well. It had been pretty hot out the whole time and something cold sounded nice (Preston had brought two water bottles, but they were warm even before we left the house). The pump on the tiger's blood flavoring stopped working, so the woman was pouring it out onto the snocones. We sat in a shady corner near the cupcake walk to eat.


I ended up giving my snocone to Preston, since I was more interested in my nachos. I'm just not a big snocone fan. He was quite happy with that, and I grabbed myself a cupcake from the cupcake walk instead (the lady said I could buy one). It was vanilla with chocolate frosting. Nice.

When we finished eating, I called Mom and asked if she could pick us up from the carnival. Preston and I walked around to the front of the school where the kindergarten playground was, and we sat on the seesaw (which Preston says is the only thing he misses about kindergarten). It was pretty fun to spend one of my first summer days at a carnival with my little brother!