Thursday, June 1, 2017

Olden Days

I've been thinking about moving my oldest stories to Google Docs for posterity. I looked into that today, though after scouring my computer, I couldn't find one of my early pieces, "Owlet", which was about a dragon adopted by owls. I had the first chapter and a half saved, but the rest was missing from my computer entirely. Not an awesome feeling; that was one of my longer ones, and I was very proud to have it completed. I remember printing out a copy and giving it to my fourth grade teacher, but I doubt she still has it lying around.

Back when we lived in Georgia, I printed out many of my old stories and placed them in sheet protectors inside plastic folders. Mom was still feeling sick today, but I asked her if she knew where they were. I checked under my bed, the garage, and several closets without any luck. Finally, when Dad came home, I asked him. I said, "I'm looking for a set of tall, thin white drawers." My folders, I thought, were in the large bottom one.

Fortunately, he knew what I was looking for! He told me those drawers were in the shed in the backyard, so we went and checked it out. My old stories were in fact there! Not "Owlet", unfortunately, but several of the others. I flipped through a few and got super nostalgic, so I drew the character from "Tears For a Lost Dragon" Books 8 and 9 who eventually morphed into my beloved Rudy, the universe jumper-


Gosh, it's hard to believe he's been with me for almost a decade now... What a good boy.