Monday, June 12, 2017

WIFYR Begins

Well, it was a long and WIFYR-filled day. Mom and I hit the road just after 7:00. I won't need to be there that early for the rest of the week, but I wanted to be there in plenty of time for registration. Once we got me signed in, I said good-bye to Mom for the day.

After the opening ceremony, I attended my group workshops, and we shared our critiques on the first twenty pages of two manuscripts we'd reviewed. It went pretty well; everyone was nice, though no one was my age (I think the closest was mid-twenties). Janette Rallison led my class.

I'd packed a lunch box, and during lunch, I talked to some girls who were working on their query letters. One, Whitney, is starting Utah State next year. We'll see if we ever meet up!

As I was finishing my food, someone came over and asked if anyone would be interested in doing a video interview. The other girls looked uncertain, so I volunteered. It went well! I thought it was interesting that they had me run the microphone cord under my shirt so it wouldn't be so noticeable. I guess they'll use the interview for a video ad about WIFYR or something, maybe on their website.

Auditorium sessions came next. The last time I was at WIFYR (two years ago) we used the main auditorium. Recently, they switched to the other side of the Waterford campus, so we had a large carpeted room full of chairs. Odd how it gave the place a slightly different feel. Anyway, an editor spoke to us and discussed the growing popularity of narrative nonfiction books. 

Our next speaker told us about how to punctuate dialogue. Useful information, but something that I would have liked to know five years ago; I don't need to hear it now. So, it was kind of a long time to be in the auditorium without much of a break, but I survived.

I think when I attended the conference two years ago, they had two workshop sessions in the afternoon. This year, they only had one. I selected a class on plot.

At 5:00, Dad arrived to take me home, and I had some time to rest. The first long and helpful day in a hopefully long and helpful week!