Saturday, September 10, 2016

Shopping on Saturday

Demetria and I rode the bus down to the grocery store today. There's a stop right in front of Blue Square and another right in font of Lee's Marketplace, so that works out pretty nicely. Of course, the Marketplace is the first stop, so when you get onto the bus after leaving the store, you have to ride the whole cycle around and that can take about twenty-five minutes. Is it a perfect system? No.

As we shopped around, and ended up having to call Mom because for the life of me, I couldn't figure out where to pick up turkey slices, of all things. I looked over everything in the meat section four times. There were a few 'turkey breasts' or large chunks, but that wasn't what I was looking for. Ham was everywhere. Too bad my dislike of ham exceeds my dislike of turkey. 

Then I asked an employee, and he sent me to the deli at the front of the store. That's where all the fancy meats were (in addition to the 'order your custom sandwich and buy it right now' thing). Still, I searched it all. That was when I called Mom, asking for aid as I checked out the strawberries. We reviewed the facts of the case and determined that there had to be deli slice turkey somewhere in the store. Lee's doesn't have a frozen food isle in its middle, but there's one on the far edge with the milk and eggs and ice cream and stuff. I walked up and down that aisle twice before I said good-bye to Mom. I simply couldn't find the turkey. 

So I went back to get yogurt. As I was leaving that area, I happened to glance to the left. Meat? In the dairy section? Sure, the meat section I'd searched four times was nearby, but it was past an obvious gap in the shelves created by a wide Employees Only door and several racks and podiums. Plus, the edges of the wall curve. I took another look. Yep- it was my turkey. Next to the yogurt. Go figure.

I also wanted to get corn, but we don't have a can opener in our dorm and none of the corn cans had tabs on the tops of their lids that made opening easy. Maybe next time.

Other than that, my day was fairly relaxing. I have to say, it is nice not to have to worry about giving talks for awhile, or having to plan relief society lessons or something. I've kept up with my homework, but I do hope I can get into some better study habits. My brain can only handle reading information from the same medium so many times before it demands a change (which makes switching between Google Docs on my desktop computer and the Google Docs app on my phone a very helpful thing).