Thursday, October 6, 2016

Computer Crash

Another of those pretty simple days today, but Thursdays are like that for me now. I went to my rat lab and then this afternoon went to my lifespan development test and talked about the marshmallow test and baby monkeys. I also worked on a birthday gift for a friend for awhile, and it was nice to have time to do that.

One weird thing happened to me tonight. My computer all of a sudden froze up entirely and crashed. I wasn't doing anything in particular. I wasn't even browsing the Internet, or drawing some huge and fancy thing, or opening a large document. It just rebooted itself. When it came up again, I was told to press either F1 or F2, and then the screen was black and covered in a bunch of white words and numbers and warning me that my hard drive had been damaged or something. Near the bottom it said, "Reboot and select proper boot device" and "Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I wasn't really sure what to think of this, so after pushing keys a few times, I let it sit for a bit and tried to look up information on fixing it with my phone. I knew the hard drive was essentially the ultimate computer memory and was quietly hoping that I hadn't just lost a lifetime's supply of work for no apparent reason. Of course, I keep all my writing files on Google Docs nowadays mainly to prevent this type of thing, since it lets me access them anywhere I have Internet access.

Finally, I decided to do the simple thing- Just turn the computer off and back on. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if it was going to reload to the black screen again, or - worse - kill the computer and all its memory entirely somehow. But, fortunately it popped back up to normal and seems to be working entirely fine. Chrome even offered to open all my same Internet tabs again for me. Odd.