Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Rushing and Blankets and Painting- Oh My

With all the excitement from last night, I guess, I forgot to set my alarm and didn't wake up until 7:55 this morning. My first class starts at 8:00.

When I saw the clock, two thoughts collided in my head at the same time. The first, that we'd been told the door to the rat lab was locked at 8. The second, maybe I could make it.

Luckily, I'm not one of those girls who refuses to go outside without half an hour spent getting ready. I threw on my clothes, grabbed my things, skipped breakfast, pulled on my hat without brushing my hair, and shot out the door. The elevator was already on my floor, which was great since it can take an entire minute for it to get all the way to the top sometimes. Then, the shuttle was right outside. I jumped on and was on my way.

Of course, I ended up making it a few minutes after 8, but to my surprise, the door was unlocked. I went in, marked myself on the roll, and joined the boys in my group by our Skinner box. I'd missed the first interval, but they gave me the tallies and our rat's starting weight. My back-up plan had been to sit outside the door reading my book for my chocolate class (which technically speaking would have been a better use of my time), but this worked too.

Also, I didn't blog about it yesterday, but I received a package from Uncle Brett, Rachel, and their girls yesterday. Demetria went down to check the mail and came back with it. Apparently, if packages are small enough, they get delivered to a second, "secret" mailbox and we don't get informed via text of their arrival as we do with bigger packages. Good to know. Of course, I was texted one time and only recieved a small lightbulb as a package, and this box was much bigger, so who knows?

... Come to think of it, I wonder if I was actually texted about this package, and it was just fate that I had a different package waiting for me in the pick-up office.

Anyway, the girls sent me an adorable blanket they'd tied, and I got a card from Brett and Rachel. I'll take it!


Eliza joined us for some more pumpkin painting tonight, although I stayed for only a little while because I wanted to go to the SI super session for my behavior class tonight. Here are two of the pumpkins she did:

Day of the Dead

"Sam and the Firefly"

I decided to do a Ludo pumpkin tonight, and he looks okay:

He has his bat wing eyeball staff too, 
though you can't see it from this angle

It's tough painting on that round surface. I mixed his skintone, the two shades of his robes, and even his peach-white skull cap myself, so lots of testing colors and balancing out ratios. Pretty proud of that.

This was the other pumpkin I designed tonight:


I finished it when I got back from SI, and then Demetria and I parted our separate ways for bed. The ward Halloween party is tomorrow, and we still have one or two pumpkins to finish, so hopefully we can manage all right. I don't have horticulture class tomorrow, so that will be nice, breathing and such.