Friday, October 14, 2016

Plants and Chemistry and Hands

I checked up on my plants in the greenhouse today. I'm not sure they're doing well. We're supposed to be watching them to see when they root, but it didn't seem as though any of mine had, except the creeping charlie and possibly the snake plant. 


My cuttings didn't seem to be dead and brown or anything. They just seemed like they were sitting there loosely in the dirt. Perhaps I didn't plant them correctly. Hopefully they'll all grow roots soon, since I did my best to follow the instructions and part of my grade is dependent on their growth.

This afternoon I went to recitation for my chocolate class to ask questions. There are certain things we need to know about chemistry, and our teacher specifically invited everyone who wanted to touch base with the chemistry stuff to stop by on Friday. So I did. The first thing she did was look me up and down and ask in a disinterested, slightly irritated voice, "Did you review the PowerPoints I've posted?"

Okay, that should be irrelevant. I came to ask exactly what I need to know for the test. Are we balancing chemical equations? Which chemical structures are we supposed to know? Do we need to draw them? Are we supposed to know that the carbons need hydrogens attached to them? What about double bonds? Is there anything related to chemistry I might need to know for this class considering that I took chemistry three years ago?

"Did you review the PowerPoints".

The PowerPoints you never posted? Since you asked, no. But why did you invite us if that's what you're going to say?

On the way back from chocolate class, I stopped by the student wellness center to make an appointment to get my hand looked at on Monday. I'm pretty sure I have tendentious. Maybe not tendentious, but there's something definitely going on with it. It doesn't hurt. I can just... feel "thickness", and it makes a lot of clicking noises. This has been happening for almost a year and a half now. I didn't bring it up with my parents for awhile because I thought, "I'll just ask the doctor at my next appointment". Mom never actually made another appointment, which did make me feel dumb, and one of the things I need to learn to do is be more vocal about things like this, I guess. 

I did talk to her about my hand a few times, but the general consensus seemed to be that we'd leave it alone until it really started bothering me. Over the last few days, it's been bothering me a little more. It still doesn't hurt, but it feels a little stiff in the distal part of my forearm and seems to be clicking more often. I guess we'll see what the doctor says on Monday. Luckily being a student gets me free healthcare.

Demetria and I watched "Nightmare Before Christmas" tonight. It was my first time actually watching it all the way through (I'd seen the beginning before in school one time, I think). Tim Burton's work is an acquired taste and not really my fancy, but now I've seen the movie. 

Could've used a little more "show, don't tell" flavoring, though. And maybe a romance that wasn't so vague and awkwardly forced (or there at all). And maybe an explanation for why Jack never tried any of the other holiday doors while trying to learn about the magic of Christmas, because comparing and contrasting the other dimensions that you have the power to access seems like it would be obvious and might have made a more interesting movie. And maybe an explanation for what the Boogeyman was actually doing whatsoever. And maybe Jack could have been the one to imprison Santa instead of demanding he be kidnapped so they could converse and then tossing him aside. And maybe less of a deux ex machina ending when it came to Oogie Boogie's defeat. But, well.