Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Late-Night Shopping Adventure

I had my horticulture lab down at the greenhouse today. We've been talking about vegetative reproduction, so we tracked down the asexually-reproducing plants, snipped off leaves and stems, planted them in small pots filled with dirt, and watered them. Then the pots went in a tray (a "flat"), and we wrapped our trays in plastic bags and put them all in the corner. Supposedly they'll grow. As I left, I regretted not taking a picture of all the asexual things at my table. Maybe next time.

Demetria's been wanting to go to Walmart for awhile, since they have things in stock that Lee's Marketplace doesn't carry. She had a church calling meeting at 6:00 that she went to, and she brought me back a cookie. It was maybe 7:30 when we headed out. 

We rode the Cache Valley Transit down as near to Walmart as we were able to get. After studying a map and still unsure of where we wanted to go, I opened my GPS, which decided to be finicky. Demetria pulled up written instructions, and we used the moon to determine which way was north. Along the way, Demetria found eight dollars on the ground. Good eyesight, considering that it was getting dark and no one was around.

Then things started to get weird. The GPS in my hand refused to update as we walked. For example, it kept telling us to turn around and head back, but when we did, it tried to direct us into a wall, and then instructed us to stand in the middle of a busy street. We returned to Demetria's directions and followed them all the way to a field of power lines. Um... okay.

At this point, the GPS finally decided to tell us where we were. Apparently we'd been walking in the wrong direction for twenty minutes. We turned around and headed back, then passed the bus stop and kept walking. We finally made it to Walmart.

It was now 8:09, and supposedly the buses stopped running at 8:30. We quickly grabbed the things we needed (I had forgotten to buy bread last time, so this was my chance to get some). After navigating through self-check out, I asked an employee where we could find the nearest bus stop, and he directed us behind the store.

We were behind Walmart when Demetria looked up the bus schedule and realized that this stop was scheduled to have the last bus swing by at 8:13. Uh-oh. However, the one in front of Walmart was supposed to come at 8:33. We hurried around the building and across the parking lot. At the stop, I texted Alison and asked what she was up to, in case we missed it and needed her to pick us up. She said that she was thinking about dinner, and I told her that we'd been worried about missing the bus, but had made it.

Unfortunately, we'd forgotten to take into account that not all buses go to the same places. This bus had only one stop left for the night: Cache Valley Hospital. I had this confused with the Intermountain Hospital just around the corner from Blue Square, so I thought this would get us closer to campus. It did not. We went from being half an hour away to being forty-five minutes from home, in the dark, in the cold, with no buses on the way.

So... we opened up our GPS again and started walking. After awhile, I texted Alison back and admitted we were lost, and asked if she could come find us. She called immediately and asked where we were. Demetria and I had found an LDS Church that made a good place to wait while I texted Alison our location and she came to pick us up. 

She took us back to Blue Square after that. It was almost 9:30 by this point. How nice to have a friend with a car! I could just imagine her thinking, "Ah yes, my idiot daughters". She was very concerned about us and I think a little surprised that we had walked for fifteen minutes before asking her to pick us up. Maybe Demetria and I will have to bring her cookies or something as a thank you. 

I have to say, I'm very glad that Demetria didn't go alone. She didn't have Alison's number, and it got dark earlier than we had anticipated. She kept apologizing to me for dragging me into this, but I told her that I was just grateful she liked me enough to invite me along on simple things like shopping trips. We were both very glad we hadn't bought any perishables, and we established a new rule: No shopping anywhere besides Lee's after 7:30.