Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Monster Mash

Ah, it was the last day of the rat lab today. I still have projects to do - I have a graph to finish up now that I have all my data, and then I need to do a write-up - but luckily I have until mid-December before those need to be turned in.

That's the nice thing about being in the first set of people to work with the rats- the second wave will start tomorrow and work until December 6th. Not fun to cram a write-up after that too, on top of studying for finals... not to mention walking to the lab in the snow.

We had our ward Halloween party today, although technically it wasn't for the whole ward. I was a bit disappointed when I heard it was a Relief Society activity only and the boys wouldn't be coming. Not because I needed the attention of boys, but because I knew this meant that even fewer people than I'd anticipated were actually going to show up, and I'd kind of wanted to show off our pumpkins as much as possible. 

Demetria ended up getting back from her last class of the day a little late, so while she changed into her costume, I went early to help set up for the party, and because this way I'd get to hitch a lift to the church in Caterina's car instead of having to walk. Haha... No. Didn't find out about the car thing until after I'd agreed to go, but there were so many pumpkins and I wanted to help. Plus, y'know, being out of the house and having an excuse not to study.

As we were finishing setting up, Demetria arrived to help. She braided my hair in the bathroom and helped me stick my craft store accessories on. Those wings came with clips for the dolls, so that was really nice. I took this picture really quick in case I ran out of time or forgot to take one later, and I was planning to delete it, but then I kind of liked it.


Wings and pretty hair- taken after I got home

In a disappointing turn of events, because we carried the pumpkins to the party in groups in bags, they scratched one another with their stems and peeled off a lot of the acrylic paint. We gave it our best shot.





There were maybe twelve or thirteen people who came in all, so I guess it was a decent turnout, though the multipurpose room was big enough that it looked so empty. We saw Eliza. Didn't get a picture with her though, and I did get to meet some more people, though I can't remember all their names. 

Oh- and Eliza told us that she'd passed that guy who drove us to the Pumpkin Walk while she was on campus yesterday, and he'd asked her how things were going, and that today he called her and asked if she wanted to hang out with him sometime. Dude... please let it go. The secondhand embarrassment is eating me alive.

Some activities had been arranged, like charades and "spider racing" (blowing glittery toy spiders across a long table with straws), and music played. Mostly we ate cookies and candy and talked. I ate a powdered donut off a long horizontal string, "racing" against another girl. After her donut fell off, she put it back on (which wasn't easy to do given that about half of it was missing and the wait kept dragging it down, but somehow she made it work). When she leaned beneath the string to try to eat it, I grabbed the string and bounced it up and down until her donut fell off before she could stop it.

Everyone was impressed with our decorations, so that was great. The pumpkins we'd painted got adopted out when the party was over. We kept Foop and the Boo that I painted, that cliff in front of the moon scene from "Nightmare Before Christmas", and Demetria's "Phantom of the Opera" mask, which I'll have to get pictures of in the morning.



I wouldn't have wanted to deal with twenty-six pumpkins taking up space, especially when they started to go bad. Nice to know they went to good homes!