Sunday, October 16, 2016

Leftover Cake

I had cake for breakfast. I don't regret it. It was very good.

Most of our talks in church today were about tithing. And speaking of which, I went to tithing settlement this afternoon. That made me uncomfortable. I haven't received money for the last year and so haven't been paying anything. Technically, I have been "earning money", but it's been "imaginary money" that my parents were putting in our "checkbooks", until they were lost. I have no clue how much money I owe.

What I do know is that I did just get money for my birthday, which I'm planning to pay next week (I didn't want to do that until after I talked with the bishop about my situation) and I did receive money from various relatives and family friends following my graduation, and I should still have that information written down. I just really wish that I could get my hands on those checkbooks. I don't like cheating God.

I'm not doing fabulously in my horticulture class. I don't understand how I can manage to do poorly on three open-note quizzes in a row. That takes a certain skill. I've been copying everything down from the PowerPoint slides and as much of the verbally-given information that I can manage, and I've been studying every day, and yet I was missing some of those terms. Some of those questions were definitely not in my notes, and many questions were True or False. My teacher gets a kick out of writing trick questions, which isn't fun for us either.

I guess I should read my textbook. I read the first few chapters, but our teacher told us the text was recommended, not required. I've asked him several times and have been repeatedly told that we will only be tested on material given during the lectures and the book is not actually necessary for the class. Hmm.

After I finished my online quiz and received my score, I cheered myself up with some ice cream. Then Demetria and I watched a Charlie Chaplin movie, "The Gold Rush". There's a really funny scene in it where the cabin is balancing on the edge of a cliff, and every time the characters move around, it starts to tilt. It moved during a blizzard while they were sleeping and they didn't know they were in danger- only that the building tilted. So one of the characters - who also happened to be rather large - said, "Let's see how far it will tip over", or something along those lines. Demetria and I were softly screaming, "No, no, no!" at them every time they strayed to far to the side or started jumping. We figured they would make it out alive, but it was still intense. That was fun. 

There's also an amusing scene in that movie where Chaplin's character says, "I can't make a speech, so I will do a dance with the rolls". Then he stabs two rolls with two forks and makes them dance like legs and shoes on the edge of the table. It's very awkward and silly and was a pleasant way to end the night.

Demetria also looked up a bunch of facts about this movie and "The General" when it was over. There's a scene at the end of "The General" when a train called The Texas goes over a damaged bridge and plunges into the river below. This was the most expensive scene filmed in any silent movie of the time, and apparently they just left the train there until it was fished out for scrap metal during World War II. Huh. 

Also, during the filming of the battle scene, the forest caught fire and Buster Keaton and the crew stopped production to put it out. Good.