Sunday, October 30, 2016

Stake Conference (Really)

Ah, so apparently last week we went to REGIONAL Conference, and so this week we had STAKE Conference. My missed stake.

We were able to secure a ride with Caterina and her roommate down to the tabernacle since the buses don't run on Sunday. It was a neat place. We sat up in the balcony and heard some talks, and Demetria ran into a friend of hers from her old ward. That friend is going to BYU Idaho, but I guess she was down here for Conference with some friends.


On the way back to Blue Square, Caterina told us stories about that guy who's been bothering Eliza. Apparently he asked her out awhile ago, too... Three times in a week, in fact, because she'd said yes the first time. He asked her the first time right when school was beginning, probably right after the croquet activity (I guess we played croquet with both him and Caterina that night). She said it was difficult because she was trying to adjust to starting her second year of college, she'd recently broken up with her ex, and she told us she'd said yes because she felt awkward saying no and I guess thought she could drop enough hints to ease him off.

So awhile ago he apparently posted a Facebook message about how things were hard for him in life. She met up with him (In her apartment, Caterina told us, and said she'd offered it without thinking and then regretted it). Fortunately nothing bad came out of it, but she said she'd be more careful not to do that again. They sat down and had a talk, and after awhile the talk morphed into one about how things were going for her. She told him that she wasn't looking for a relationship now, as she was still in love with her ex. He asked her if she could ever love him... Remember, three dates in a week.

She finally was able to let him down, although he came up to her shortly after with "friendship flowers" he had bought, insisting that they weren't romantic, but it still made her uncomfortable. He also posted a Facebook status stating he would never love again and then the next day or day after was seen with another girl. After a few more girls, he's now on Eliza's heels. Hmm.....

Anyway, Demetria got a kick out of all this because she was thinking she might have overreacted, but hearing this other story made her feel a little better. He's not a bad person, but he's an odd fellow who can't seem to take (or at least accept) a hint, and I'll have to keep my eyes out for him if he ever comes my way.

I waited all day to call Grandpa Millburn to thank him for my birthday money, because I wanted to make sure he wasn't still in church. I ended up calling him around 9:30. Whoops. My original plan had been to write him a thank you note upon coming home over the weekend, but I forgot.

I did some writing and studying and such. I've basically given up on using my own notes. Apparently it's more effective to not take notes during class and to study from off the PowerPoints my teachers post.

Not that it always guarantees a good score. I do have to say, I'm still livid about being told (both in class and on the slides) details such as "The bean is dried to 3% moisture content", only to turn around and mark on a quiz that water is an ingredient present in chocolate. It is not. I don't know what the moisture content is from, but apparently not water.

My other options were cocoa butter and cocoa liquor, and something else... maybe salt or something- this was a bit ago and I can't remember precisely. Anyway, cocoa liquor is pressed into two completely separate things before it's used- cocoa butter and cocoa powder. Therefore, one might assume the liquor itself is not present in chocolate. But apparently it is. Sigh.