Thursday, February 16, 2017

All You Need Is a Light Jacket

I like to think that one of my greatest strengths is that, typically, I'm good about managing my time, finishing all the things I need/want to, and not procrastinating on assignments. I like having my first class of the day not start until 10:30. I woke up with plenty of time to clean the frog tank, shower, and eat before class. I put some finishing touches in my room and took the after picture for my interior design staging project:

Before



... In retrospect, I'm not totally happy with the second picture. The lighting glares more than I thought it would, and I forgot to move some things like the suitcase under my bed and the stuff near the fish tank. By the time I really sat down to look at the pictures full view, I had already uploaded them, put the cardboard trashcan and fish tank back in the living area, and the natural lighting wasn't so great anymore. Oops. I'll probably lose at least a point or two on this assignment, but at least I did it.

Then it was time for class. As usual, I skipped the red bus and instead rode the purple bus up to the TSC and walked to the opposite end of campus from there. After class, I caught my teacher's attention and asked about her research, trying to nudge her in the direction of "Do you work with undergrads?" She said that she doesn't really do the romantic relationship stuff anymore, but if I came by her office hours she could talk to me about what she does, or even help me explore other research opportunities on campus with other teachers. Unfortunately, her office hours are Monday at 9:30, when I have my English class. She told me I could set up an appointment at a different time instead.

Mom had texted me asking her to call her. I was hoping it wasn't about someone dying, because that's usually where my thoughts go when I get texts like that with no explanation about what the conversation will be. Luckily, no one was dead- she was just calling so we could talk about weekend plans, since I'm going home. She'll pick me up Saturday instead of Friday since Stockton has diving to attend.

I knew I would have my date this evening, so I finished up my math homework during the break between my two Thursday classes. I was trying to decide whether to upload my interior design homework or do dishes first when I realized I had my times flipped around- on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have a 3:30 class, but Tuesday and Thursday I have a 3:00 one. I had twenty minutes to get to abnormal psych. Fortunately I made it with about five minutes to spare, even though I walked out of Blue Square right as the shuttle left, and the next one wasn't going to come for eight minutes, so I crossed the street to the stadium stop instead.

We talked about sleep disorders in class. It's our last class before our next test. There's a lot to study, but I've been combing through my words for the last few weeks, so I'm grasping the concepts. Then I went home to rest. I scratched my face yesterday and broke skin, so all day I had a red blot on my face. It was weird because it looked like it was just a smear of blood, but no matter how many times I washed it, I couldn't wash it off. During the last break, I'd broken out the limited supply of make-up I did have, and tried to figure out what to do with it. All I wanted was something to dab on the red spot so it didn't look so bright red. The goop I did add was dumb, because it smeared around and was almost transparent. 

I took out some sparkly-looking powder next. It was red, but I thought maybe I could work with it. I took the brush and tried dusting some of the powder on my cheeks. I did this for awhile, trying hopelessly to detect any sign of difference, and finally got glitter in my eye and called it quits.

That was earlier, so when I got home from abnormal psych, I asked Demetria if she had anything. She had a small tube of goop that you could dab on your skin to cover up red spots like mine. Perfect, this was exactly what I'd wanted! It worked pretty well.

Next I tried braiding my hair, only to realize after a few attempts that it's been years since I've braided it myself, and I didn't do a very good job. After debating the pros and cons, I reluctantly tore each braid out, and finally elected to pull my hair up in a ponytail. I don't know if I gave off too casual of a look, but for me, doing anything with my hair is considered dressing up.

I pulled brown boots out of my closet, set my coat and keys on the end of my bed, and sat down to wait for 6:30 to arrive. I uploaded my pictures for interior design, did my 400 word description on the project, and posted reviews on the projects of two other people.

About 6:30, I went down to the parking lot. I was only there for about two minutes before Jason pulled up in his car to greet me. We talked about our psychology classes on our way to Texas Roadhouse. It was surprisingly crowded there for a Thursday night. Loud too. We talked some more as we waited, took a break from talking when we got our menus, and talked a bit more after that. I told the waiter, "This will sound weird, but can I have the macaroni and cheese from the kids' menu?" He said it wasn't really their policy to do that, and I said, "But I'm as adorable as a kid". He said he'd make an exception this one time. I guess I've finally reached that age where I can't just eat off the kids' menu anymore. I'm glad he allowed me to tonight. Texas Roadhouse... Not a meat fan... Yeah.

I thought the date went pretty well. We didn't really have awkward silences, just pauses. And I got my macaroni, warm rolls with cinnamon butter, and cheese fries, and Jason was nice and I didn't have to pay for any of it. We talked a lot about school and interests and things. I don't think he's LDS though, so I can't see it becoming a long-term relationship. He did say that he and Jeff play a lot of D&D (my guess is that Jeff's wife probably doesn't join them), and I said I'd always kind of wanted to give it a try, so maybe I'd have to let them teach me a bit sometime when I could afford that time commitment. He said Jeff would be thrilled. And since he took stats last semester, he could potentially help me in math too. So that was my first date! Not too painful.

I had Demetria take a picture of me after I came home

I got to take the second batch of rolls home with me. Demetria was cooking food when I returned, so we chatted a bit about the date and weekend plans, and watched the latest "Star" episode. My homework was all done and I was able to just unwind. All in all, it wasn't too bad a day!