Monday, February 27, 2017

Shop in the Morn

Today was a pretty simple day. My English class got cancelled, so I spent my morning browsing for the academic articles I need to gather for my homework assignment. I have a few so far, but I'll need several more. Fortunately I have until after spring break.

I talked to Mom for a bit and then headed out to get some groceries. I guess this is a time of day that it's not very crowded. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many shopping carts flanking both sides of the door:


I picked up some things I needed, such as bananas, milk, and dishwashing soap pellets, and grabbed a bit of candy since a lot of it in the check-out lane was on sale, and I want to start stocking up study candy as the end of the semester creeps ever closer. I made it back, unloaded some dishes, had a quick lunch, and cleaned the frog tank. That task always takes awhile, but it had to be done!

I was concerned I might be late to my career class as a result, but I was only about thirty seconds late so it wasn't so bad. We talked about graduate school, and some recommendations that you give yourself a year or even two or three after college before going to graduate school, in order to engage in research opportunities and make connections for recommendation letters. 

It was also suggested that, for example, if to get the job you love you only need a Masters degree, then stop at a Masters degree and get to work doing the job you love and start earning money as opposed to going on to a Ph.D., which, while it might open more career opportunities for you (and offer higher pay, once you take care of the associated debt), may not be the best choice if you're already doing something you love.

For me, at this point, I'm not planning to go to graduate school. After graduation, I want to write. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to make it in the world skill-wise, since I have over ten years of practice at this point. I just need to get a publishable project finished, edit and revise of course, go through the steps of getting an agent (which should be easier now that I'm older than I was a few years ago), do more revising and things, and have some luck on my side. 

That's what I want to do. I don't want to go onto graduate school. However, I'm still keeping the option open in case I change my mind, as I don't know what the future holds for me. In a few years, I could potentially be married, or almost married. A few years after that, I might even have a baby. I just need to keep multiple options over and try not to burn my bridges... even though I really, really just want to spend my life writing, not going to more school for a job I likely won't enjoy as much as life as an author.

I stayed on campus until interior design, and after that went home to look over my articles again and do some more writing. Demetria and I watched what I assume was the Season 2 finale of "Star". Things are really heating up. I do love me some cartoons with heavy character-driven plot and psychology. Geez, that scene where Queen Moon said, "Ludo, you aren't well..." and he just sort of squinted downwards in defeat... That was a good scene. "I know Dennis misses you." "... How is he?" "He's worried about his big brother. As am I..."