Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Hedge Statues

In order to compensate for missing school on Presidents' Day, our schedules were flipped around. That meant I went to my Monday classes on Tuesday, and I'll go to them again tomorrow (along with my lab and Institute). We finished up our discussion from last time in English, and drew the audience our essay is supposed to be geared at with crayons.

Linzie was doing a stream when I got home, so I left that running in the background while I added and removed some definitions from my abnormal psych Quizlet and tried to look up some information about my math homework. At one point, Jen showed us a quick floorplan of a mansion for a game she's working on, and Linzie and I were just roasting her. Affectionately. My favorite part was that she wrote "hedge statue" because she didn't know the word "topiary". Then Linzie would say something like "StoRAGE" or send "Kit" followed a moment later by "chen" because the word was on two different lines, and the outhouses (I think that's what they were) were way in the corner of the map and labeled "batrooms". Jen rolled her eyes at us, I'm sure. It was enjoyable.

I bowed out early so I could get some more work done, though. Specifically, I wanted to review all my professor's PowerPoint slides for this unit of abnormal psych. I made it through them before career class, but just barely. I ended up leaving later than I had intended to. Luckily I only had to wait two minutes for the shuttle.

So I was a minute or two late for class, but when I walked in, I was surprised to find that the room was empty. I'd been on Canvas shortly before I'd left Blue Square, and there hadn't been a message that it was cancelled. Earlier today I'd also checked my syllabus to be sure that I was on track. This was a Monday class, so I hadn't gone to the wrong place. There were a few other kids standing around, but the room was mostly empty, and I had been late.

One of the kids had their updated syllabus on hand (the one that's supposed to be for Week 6 onward, and which I hadn't thought we'd started yet), but still there was no indication that class had been cancelled or relocated to another room for the day. Finally, someone checked their email. Yep. A week and a half ago, our teacher had sent out a message saying that "Due to the difficulty of working with staff around their usual hours", we wouldn't have class today. I remember getting it, but apparently I hadn't written down anywhere "Don't go to class this day!"

I feel like she should have sent another reminder the day of, but I guess it's my fault too. No harm done, really. At least if I was going to be late, this would've been the day to do it. Still, it would have been nice not to run across campus to get to class. I'll have to be more on top of keeping these kinds of notes.

I ended up going home to take another look at those psych notes and work on my math. Specifically, I looked at my take-home exam. It's a bit daunting. Not the kind of stuff I was expecting to be tested on given this unit. I did my best with the notes I have, but it will be good to compare with someone else. For instance, the test gives us a raw score and asks us to calculate it's z-score and standard score. A z-score is a type of standard score, I think, and if you try Googling "standard score", the Internet seems to treat the two as synonyms, despite the fact that the second question in the test gives you the standard score and wants you to calculate the z and the raw, so they're obviously different.

I'm planning to talk with Jeff in lab tomorrow. Maybe I'll also make plans to visit the tutors. They have hours on Wednesday at 5:30 to 7:00... Exactly when I'm in seminary. But they're supposed to be available early Thursday morning too, so hopefully I can catch them. I just need to make sure I know where they are, and hope it's not too crowded.

Interior design was all right. We talked about lines. It wasn't very exciting... Actually, I almost fell asleep in class, I think. I don't think I slept very well last night, and I'm a morning person. The lack of sleep must have finally been getting to me. The annoying thing was, I knew it was because my teacher wasn't very engaging today. I knew that if I were home working on something I wanted to work on, I would instantly be wide awake. So I tried to be excited about "line". It was a relief when I got out of class without falling asleep, though, especially because I sit in the front row.

Sure enough, I perked up once I was home again. I'd planned to take another look at my math, but since I still felt a little drowsy, I set that aside until after I'd done a quick drawing to wake myself up more. I did a sketch of Paulina Sanchez from "Danny Phantom" and Penny Sanchez from "ChalkZone" the other day, and I thought it would be fun to color it:

I think Sanchez was Paulina's fan-made last name, but Butch
just confirmed it in his latest video, so that was pretty exciting!

Jen said I made Paulina look a little scary, though, so I think I'll redo her eyebrows. But anyway.

Then I started looking at my test again, and did a chunk of my week's online math assignment. Some concepts we didn't cover very well in class, and I'd really like to compare notes with Jeff on. Hopefully we're able to meet up soon.

Really, I just did my "first attempts" at the math today. You get three attempts on each problem. I figured I'd get as much as I could out of the way now, and look at it again with fresh eyes either tomorrow or Thursday, when it's due, without leaving all the work to be done on Thursday. I ate more of that Little Caeser's pizza tonight, figuring that I should try to finish it off sooner rather than later.

I like to do homework after I get home until around 8:30 or 9:00, and then after that had the chance to take some time for myself again and do a bit of writing. It was kind of an exhausting day, mentally, and one of those that makes you wish it could be summer already. Strange that there are only about two months and a week left before the school year ends for me...