Wednesday, February 22, 2017

More Like Exterior Design

Yesterday it was very windy, and rained at the end of the day. Today, we had some snow. Luckily it was just the white stuff, and not heavy and wet or involving any hail, since I didn't have my umbrella on hand with me.

I went to English again this morning, of course. My teacher reminded us that our annotated bibliographies our due March 18th. I'm pretty sure that's after Spring Break, which will be nice since I've hardly looked at that assignment. I hate procrastinating, but of course I have to get the assignments that are due sooner done first. I've been studying for my abnormal psych test and preparing for my statistics exam. 

Once those are out of my way, I'll be able to focus more on this English assignment. I need to pick my eight articles and write a page about each one of them. An eight-page assignment isn't one you want to put off until the end. I was also holding off in the hopes that I might be struck with some inspiration for my argumentative essay, but no luck yet. Ah, well.

Then it was time for my SPSS lab. Jeff never showed up. As class was starting and he still wasn't here, I sent him a text that said "Bro". He replied back that he'd lost track of time at the career fair. I said, "I'm so glad I'm not you right now. This lab sounds like it will be a pain to make up". A lot of the students whose labs are on Monday and Tuesday had their schedules messed up- especially the Tuesday kids who had Monday classes yesterday, because sometimes those classes overlapped their labs. It is nice to have a lab on Wednesday, because out of all the days in the week, that seems to be the one least susceptible to events like having school off. I do enjoy not having to make it up when there's a holiday.

We took an I>clicker quiz in my career class, and after that I ate a late lunch at the Marketplace. It's been about two weeks since I've been, so that was nice. I had a grilled cheese, fries, a roll, some yummy nachos, and some mint ice cream. So yes, I spoiled myself a bit, but sometimes I like to do that on these long Wednesdays. I try to eat healthier at home, and many other times I visit the marketplace too.

Interior design was a bit better than yesterday, though not by much. He wanted to try a new teaching set-up today, so he broke the class in three groups, had us download his PowerPoint slides, and we discussed the three types of architectural styles he had selected- Renaissance, Baroque, and 17th century medieval. I was in the first group. 

The thing is, I'm here in college to learn. When we break into groups to discuss, I feel like everything moves very slowly, and no one learns much. This took up the entire class period, except when each group shared their conclusions about the pictures from the PowerPoint we'd looked at with the rest of the class. At the end, he asked who enjoyed this teaching style. I didn't raise my hand, and though I didn't turn around, it seemed like a lot of people around me kept their hands down. Our teacher hesitated, then said he might try it again anyway. I think he liked this style because he got to relax for about half an hour.

Plus, I mean, you would think in a class called interior design we'd look INSIDE the buildings instead of looking at the outside so much, but apparently nobody asked me.

There was snow out when we left. I hung out in the international lounge of the TSC. The couches there are very comfortable- probably the kind I'd really like to have in my home when I grow up. I stayed there and did some Quizlet studying until it was time for Institute. My friend Molly from high school was there in my class today! She must have a different Institute class, but came today with a roommate or friend. Maybe she has Institute on Monday and it was cancelled for Presidents' Day. We talked about Jesus and the lady at the well. My teacher has the picture of that scene on a rolled-up canvas that he passed around. It was pretty cool.

The evening bus left the TSC stop right before I reached it. I was pretty irritated, because I thought he may have seen me. I considered walking home, but there was lots of snow coming down, and I didn't feel like walking for ten minutes in the dark and cold. When I texted the bus, it said it would be back in six minutes. Now, I knew this was a filthy lie. But for some reason I believed it anyway. It was fifteen minutes before it returned, and then another fifteen-minute ride around the evening route. Maybe I should have walked, but at least I wasn't cold.

Anyway. Demetria found out today she was accepted into the music program, so she was pretty excited about that. She and I watched two new episodes of "Star" tonight, so that kind of made up for the slowness in getting home. Then I did some more drawing while listening to my abnormal psych words. Test day is tomorrow! Hopefully I do great!