Thursday, February 2, 2017

Spacy at Skyroom

It was nice to have a bit of time to myself this morning before stats class. I made sure to arrive with plenty of time to spare so Jeff and I could compare our last few answers. Another boy asked if he could compare answers with us too, and said that we'd missed a step because we forgot to include the degrees of freedom and subtract one from our n value. You only do this if it's a sample.

Jeff and I hurried to rework our problems, and everything should turn out okay. It would be cool to get a 100. We'll see what happens. Oh! And I found out I don't have a real final in this class. Yes! No real English final, no real stats final! And I'll have to double check on psychology as a career.

A few days ago, a friend asked me to critique something short that she'd written. Today I thought I finally had the time too. It took longer than I'd anticipated, so I was a bit late to my lunch with Alison. That was pretty embarrassing, though not as embarrassing as when we were finishing our food and I realized my meal plan wouldn't cover gratuity. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I don't know why. I'd known the place would be nice. I just hadn't thought to add tipping the server into my budget. I'm not used to eating anywhere my meal plan doesn't fully cover, and this was my first time eating anywhere a tip was expected since moving out of the house. I don't normally carry my credit card with me, and I didn't have cash on hand either.

At least I had Alison to cover for me. Late, and without money for a tip. I'm sure she thinks highly of me, haha... Every time I try to do something nice for her, she ends up doing at least two nice things for me. How am I supposed to catch up at this rate?

But hopefully I didn't annoy her too much. The Skyroom was pretty nice. I had a good view of the mountains, and lots of snow across the rooftops. We had plenty of time to catch up and talk too.

 Chicken cordon bleu and corn chowder soup

Those red velvet cakes on the right were really good!
Alison insisted I be adventurous and try the fruit tart too

I decided to stay on campus until my abnormal psychology class. This was a really relaxing point of the semester today because my abnormal psych tests aren't cumulative, and I had no information from the next unit to study. After going, going, going all day yesterday, it was nice to relax and take the opportunity to write.

With that class over, the rest of the day was mine! The weekend is nearly upon me! I came home and was able to (mostly) relax. I also did dishes. And although my Aplia assignments were technically finished, I went back to one of the problems that I had missed. I was supposed to follow a specific formula for several problems, and it was kind of annoying because with this type of problem, degrees of freedom don't matter, so you don't subtract 1 from the number of participants. I don't know why. Hmm. Here's to hoping I was right to change my answers on my take-home test.

Anyway, before I confirmed that yes, I wanted to try again with a new problem, I studied the explanation for why my first answer was incorrect. The explanation wasn't really clear to me, so I ran some calculations a few times, trying to work backwards and figure out how to get the answer. I sent a picture of this to Mom and Stockton:


Since I'd been staring at my computer screen for a long time, I took a break to let out my frustration by cleaning the frog tank. Stockton got back to me while I did so, pointing out that I hadn't followed order of operations properly. Oh. Normally I would try to defend myself, but I'm not going to make up some excuse for this one. I just didn't think about it. At least I know I followed order of operations on my stats test, and that's what's important.

On my third try of three, I was able to successfully solve all six aspects of this page's problem at the same time, bringing my total score for this assignment up to a 100%. I submitted it, locking in the score. Hooray! I do like the way the system works. I think when I did my Stats 1040 homework in senior year, the first answer you clicked was considered your final answer. Very annoying, that.

College really isn't too bad if you don't procrastinate. It's nice to be caught up on all my work right now. Maybe I'll even get a light, relaxing weekend too.