Tuesday, August 15, 2017

21,000

I finished the huge party scene! It came out to be 21,000 words. I... Wow.

I think the real reason it's difficult for me to write a 50,000 word novel is because writing scenes this long is easy, and then my work ends up too long. Oh well. This is one of my favorite pieces I've ever written- it's about a new father who thinks his wife has had a miscarriage because she isn't showing many signs of pregnancy yet. His friends, unaware that he's given the baby up for dead, surprise him by picking him up for a "diaper party", and take him out to a huge party at a nightclub another one of their friends owns. While reluctant to go since he's hardly in the mood for celebrating, he doesn't want to ruin their excitement. So he goes and bumps into old familiar faces, and struggles to keep his happy face even though his world seems to be falling apart. It was interesting and very fun to write.

I've been in a writing slump the last month, but my passion is all coming back now. I'm pretty happy about that. I've decided that I like writing about adults a lot more than writing about kids. Mostly adults who have kids. It's way more fun to watch characters trip over their feet and make mistakes when raising their children than watching teenagers fall in love in the middle of their quest to save the world.