Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Checking Out the Library

Since my apprenticeship class meets only on Mondays, and then only sometimes, I had no class at all until 2:30. I was able to catch a shuttle just before it left. Excellent. Saved me a long walk up the hill.

It was fiction writing class, and it looks like its emphasis is on short stories. Should be more interesting than the creative writing class from my high school days that focused much too much on poetry for my liking. 

One of our assignments is to visit the library, check out a book of short stories, read some of them, and then fill out a sheet comparing them. This seems a bit strange to me considering the fact that we all either rented or purchased books for this course that already contain lots of short stories, but nevertheless I am a woman of my word. So straight after class, I headed to the campus library to find a book of short stories. It was my first time checking a book out there. I've never actually been to the back area which has tons and tons of aisles and shelves. It was a lot bigger than I expected, and a bit difficult to navigate, but I managed.

Since I only needed to read a few short stories and answer a few questions about them, I considered just sitting on the floor while I finished the assignment and then putting it back on the shelf when I was done. However, I've heard that librarians get paid according to how much the library is used (aka, how many books are returned and that they then shelf), so that's why they like you to return the books in the return bin instead of putting the book back where you found it, even if you remember exactly where it goes. So, I decided I'd go through the checking out process and take the book home with me for a few days. Plus, if I ended up having a coughing fit, I wouldn't disturb anyone. It was a self check-out system, so I was able to scan the book and my student ID and go.

To my surprise, one of the shuttles outside the TSC said that it was traveling the 8th East route. That's the route Blue Square is on. Would this shuttle get me close to my apartment, construction notwithstanding? I decided to ride it and find out. It was quite the long ride. I guess it's the 8th East / Innovation Campus bus route for now. It took somewhere probably ten or fifteen minutes just to drop me off at the stop before Blue Square, which is decently far down the road. It's on the far side of the church, so it was another ten minute walk to reach Blue Square. I could have gotten back a lot sooner if I'd walked.

Well, now I know. Until this construction clears, I'll only ride the stadium shuttle. Someone riding with me mentioned that the construction had started only two weeks before fall semester began. What? Really? That seems dumb. I mean, I can see they'd want to do construction work before it starts to snow, but I hope they're doing something really important like repairing a stoplight, and not something that could have waited a few more years or decades. This construction is quite an inconvenience for people like me who live down at the bottom of the hill, though a lot of students live at the top and are blissfully unaware of what's going on down here, I imagine.

After coming home, I ran laundry for the first time since moving back, and talked to Mom on the phone. Just doing some catching up and settling in.