Tuesday, August 29, 2017

On the Second Day of Fall Semester

I woke up feeling lots better than yesterday. Not so much coughing. Dad had bought me bananas the other day when he brought me up. They were still green this morning, so I didn't have my usual protein shake for breakfast, which was a shame since that probably would have felt good on my throat.

Tuesday and Thursday are definitely my busier days of the week. After readying myself for the morning, I crossed the street to the stadium. I'd thought leaving twenty-five minutes early would give me plenty of time to get to Institute, but three buses passed me and the other kids present without stopping. All of them full. It normally takes give or take ten minutes to walk up the steep hill to campus in good conditions. With the construction, the normal sidewalks were blocked off, so I had to circle pretty far around before I could even start up the hill. But, I did eventually make it to Institute class. I guess I'll have to budget more time for myself to get to school in the mornings. Hopefully the drivers will add another bus to the route, or the construction finishes up soon.

My Institute teacher is a bit scattered, but he gets the point across. I'm taking a class about the prophets, so we talked today about Joseph Smith. Then I hiked across campus to just about the farthest possible building. It takes between ten and fifteen minutes to get there from the Institute, from 9:45 to 10:00, but the class doesn't start until 10:30, so it works out. Gives me a few minutes to relax.

My research methods teacher was actually a bit late today, though, because she thought class was supposed to start at 1:00. She was super embarrassed when she finally came in (the TA had arrived on time and let us know she was on her way), and she was able to laugh it off. She even let us go 40 minutes early. That's college for ya! Our real class final will be before Thanksgiving instead of during finals week. After Thanksgiving, we have PowerPoint presentations to work on instead. Hmm... I hope we work alone on those instead of in groups. That would just make my life easier.

Normally, I will only have ten minutes between the end of research methods class and the start of (deep breath) Principles of Psychological Measurements and Test Theory class. But those bonus 40 minutes gave me the chance to catch up on my blog. My measurements teacher is all right. It's kind of amusing to look at him, because he has a high foreign accent that you would never expect just by looking at his white skin, beard, and glasses. He'll give us a five-minute class break in the middle of our lecture every day, which isn't a lot but will be welcome considering that classes are longer on Tuesdays and Thursdays than on the other days of the week. He really likes flowers and during his PowerPoints, he'll sometimes stick random slides of flowers he likes.

I ate spaghetti at the Marketplace for lunch today, and was able to relax for a bit before my final class of the day: Behavior Assessment and Intervention. When I introduced myself, I mentioned that I wanted to study animal behavior. My teacher asked if I had any pets, so I told her I have two frogs. She was disappointed when she heard I hadn't trained them in any way, and I told her that they couldn't be trained. She gave me a triumphant look and explained how she could totally train them. Everyone laughed. A little embarrassed, I explained that my frogs are tiny water frogs who seem to absorb their nutrition through the food pellet that' dropped in their water, and I've never seen them use their mouths to eat. Everyone laughed again. I'm not sure they believed me, and my teacher looked a little stunned and just the tiniest bit annoyed. I sort of fidgeted until the conversation finally moved on. Food wouldn't be a reinforcer to these tiny aquarium frogs. There would be no contingency between their behaviors and the receiving of food. Well.

On my way out of the room after class was over, a guy stopped me and asked if I still lived at Blue Square. I had no idea who he was, and he seemed a bit hurt that I didn't remember him. Apparently we had a talk about Pokemon in the laundry room once. I vaguely remember that, but it would have only lasted for a few minutes, and it was probably an entire year ago with the new Sun and Moon games on the horizon. Sorry, dude.

His name is Daniel. I chatted with him a bit, but he seemed in a hurry to get away when he realized I didn't know him. Oh well. I tried. One thing I'd like to do this semester, now that freshman year is under my belt, is be more social and get to know more people. Hopefully I can see him again, and hopefully he isn't embarrassed that I didn't recognize him.