Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Writing the Zodiac Dance

Mom left with Rachel and the girls on a Florida-bound trip. She'll be staying with them for a week and a half. Hopefully we function well enough without her around. She and I have been reading a chapter of Gone With the Wind every day, and we're going to keep up and talk about it over the phone while she's gone- Gone with the wind, we could say. Of course, my voice is so raspy now that everything squeaks and I'm constantly coughing. Mom seemed to be able to understand me, at least.

Dad took the van in to get its air conditioning fixed, Preston attended a friend's birthday party and played laser tag, and I got a lot of writing done today. I was inspired to write about a tutor storming to a snowbound cabin in search of his flaky student who's due to perform a final dance for his ballroom class, but has been procrastinating. I pored over dance videos for a long time. Many... many different dance videos. Dad made some spaghetti while I was working in the kitchen, which was nice of him.

My passion for writing is swelling up again, and I'm grateful to reign it in and get it back! This scene turned out to be around 8,700 words. I wrote it in two days. Just. Wow. When I get into something, I can work fast and hard and love the result. But when I force it, it's like pushing two ends of a paper inward- everything wrinkles and becomes distasteful. Honestly, motivation is such a fickle mistress.