Saturday, August 26, 2017

Antibiotics

Apart from the doctor's appointment, there were two reasons I had come down from Logan this weekend. First, part of the agreement from me receiving my Smith Family Scholarship was that I would come back a year later and give a short presentation about the content of my essay, who my ancestors are, and what I spent the money on.


I think I did pretty well. I'd actually planned to read my entire essay, but the previous speaker went on about ten minutes long, so I kept it short. My full essay was available for people to read if they decided they wanted to buy the little book that had been printed, anyway. When he took me back to USU later, Dad and I joked about how we actually like public speaking. It's nice to have full control of the conversation and a captive audience. You get to say whatever you want without someone cutting you off or the conversation veering until finishing your sentence would have been pointless.

Afterwards, Mom, Dad, and I went to a place called Freddy's. Mom had mentioned it to me the other day, and said she thought I'd like it a lot because they have a special shake style called a "concrete". I like thick shakes, so I tried one out. It was really good. Another interesting thing about Freddy's is that the fries they gave us were super thin. There were tons of them, but they were small and Dad called them "frustrating fries".

I gathered up any items I wanted to take back up to college. Specifically, I'd cooked a mini pizza yesterday, and only after I'd put it in did I realize I didn't have an oven mitt. I managed to make do with a rag and a plate, but it's something I'd forgotten to get earlier.

While I was gathering things and just passing time, Mom waited anxiously for the BYU game to come on. She was sure it started at 3:00, which is also when my laser hair removal appointment was. As we were pulling into the parking lot, she turned on the radio and was shocked to hear that it sounded like they were in half time. She said, "I waited all day for this, and it's almost over?"

So she hung out in the car to listen to it while I went in to have my laser appointment. Unfortunately, as I walked down the hallway, I realized that I couldn't have the appointment because I was supposed to be off antibiotics for ten days. Yesterday, I'd gotten that inhaler at the doctor's. Anxiously I texted Mom, and she texted Dad, who sent a picture of the label. Yep. Antibiotics. We'd need to reschedule the appointment.

That was pretty embarrassing for me, because I felt like I should have remembered such a thing earlier. I've gone there several times, and they always ask me if I've been "taking any medication". I never have been, and I hadn't even thought about the inhaler. Oh well. At least if this were going to happen, it was a weekend when I already needed to be down in Sandy anyway- to visit the doctor, and give my presentation. Much better than coming down for no reason except to attend the laser appointment at all.


Dad brought me up to Utah State. It took a lot longer than we'd expected. We kept getting redirected to different ways to get into Logan, waited in long lines of traffic, only to find out that there was a policeman at the end forcing people to turn around. I kept Mom up to date, and she sent me a screenshot of an article that claimed there had been an avalanche at the entrance to Logan where two roads intersect. Oh. I didn't even realize you could get avalanches without snow.

We got a few groceries, and Dad helped me move in some things. I was amused as I watched him fiddle with my set of white drawers. He seemed convinced that he could take everything we'd brought up in only two loads. We'd already taken one up, and he didn't want to go any more than he had to. He piled some boxes and things on top of the drawers. The set has wheels, but all four of them had been taken off. I seemed to remember that when they'd moved me out, one of the wheels had fallen off and not stayed on, so we'd ended up carrying the thing out drawer by drawer. As I watched, he screwed the wheels back on, but one of them promptly fell off. I reminded Dad about our last experience a few times, but he was determined to make this work.

So, I left him to it and carried my frog tank to the lobby area. Then I came back and took the boxes.  He'd almost managed to get the drawers from the car to the curb. I took the boxes into the lobby, then came back again. Every time Dad pushed the drawers, the loose wheel fell off. He seemed a bit embarrassed that I had caught him struggling, but we did, in fact, manage to get everything up to my room in two loads. It should be interesting to see what happens when we move those drawers out.

My roommate still hasn't moved in yet. I guess I'm alone tonight.