Monday, August 28, 2017

First Day of the Semester

My first day of school started with a class at 12:30. Still no sign of my roommate. I left my apartment and hurried across the street to catch the stadium bus, but I underestimated how much time it would take to get up to campus. With the construction blocking the way, we had to take a winding route, and I was a few minutes late to my first class. Oops. Oh well- now I know, and I can be better. Luckily my apprenticeship teacher is super nice, and I already like her a lot. Shame I'll only be seeing her a couple of times, since most of the time we won't meet in class.

I checked my email after class was over. My lab results were supposed to be back, so I heard back from the doctor about my thyroids. I tried to call mom to let her know the results were in, but she didn't answer. I found out later that Jorja's phone was out of commission, so she was letting Jorja borrow it. For now, I simply sent her the email and hoped she would get it soon enough.

For lunch, I stopped by the Marketplace and grabbed some grilled cheese. I was quite pleased to see the chocolate milk machine still in place. I thought it would be, but after the Chuck-a-Rama experience, it was good to know it was readily available.

As I was sitting down, I was surprised to bump into Dallin. We chatted for a bit- he had said he was going to teach a class on Sunday, so I asked him how that had gone. He laughed and said that he had planned for a lot fewer people than had shown up. But, it went well. He was leaving as I was arriving, but it was nice to see him again for just a minute.

After lunch, I headed out to my fiction writing class. I think this teacher is a bit less engaging than my apprenticeship one. Shame; you'd almost wish they were switched. But then again, my apprenticeship teacher is enthusiastic, and even offered to regularly send us notifications about different opportunities for us to do our apprenticeship when she hears of them. She's cheerful and wants to be involved and help us to succeed. Not that my fiction writing teacher doesn't, per se, but she feels a bit more distant to me.

I rode the shuttle back to the stadium and called Mom to let her know about my day. I had a huge coughing fit in the middle of it, though. Just me, alone, sliding down the wall behind my bedroom door, coughing horribly while Mom could do nothing but listen. I hope this bronchitis passes soon enough. I'll be able to get by, but it would be nice if I didn't have to deal with this sort of thing with school starting up again.