Monday, November 14, 2016

Board Games and Bananagrams

We're in units that I understand in both horticulture and chocolate now, which is nice. Before it was all chemicals and hormones. Now we're into different plant species, and how chocolate is actually manufactured in a factory. That's more like what I was expecting to learn in these classes! I can handle this. Those melting points and chemical structures still trip me up, though. 

At least we had some tasty samples. They were brown with white stripes on them, and looked like little leaves. There was some sort of nutty filling in them, but it was faint and creamy. I brought one home for Demetria, and she said it tasted like almond filling. It was good, whatever it was. I like it when there's no overpowering taste, or nutty chunks.

I got some writing done. I just wanted to jot down a few ideas I had before I tuck my work away until Christmas break. It's coming along nicely. Giving one of my main characters feathery neck frills that spring up when he's startled or embarrassed is a decision I do not regret. Hooray for fantasy worlds!

Demetria and I swung over to the church for a home evening activity tonight, as well as Demetria's meeting that she was supposed to have about planning future activities. We played this game called Spot It a few times, which is great for large crowds. Everyone has a small disc with about a dozen different pictures on it. You're supposed to find a match on someone else's disc and give yours to them before they give theirs to you. The loser is whoever ends up with all the discs.

After that, I tried to start a good Bananagrams game going. The rest of the crowd just wanted to eat chips and salsa and socialize. It didn't help that we played some of the slowest Bananagrams games in history- it's so much more fun when you're scrambling. I don't think the other players even realized the game was supposed to be fast.

I did regret playing instead of eating a bit, though... I heard "chips and salsa" and wrongly assumed there would be no cheese. By the time we'd played a few rounds and I went to get food from the now-lineless table, all the cheese dip was gone. Oh, well.

Since people keep asking me why I get annoyed when people fill my chip and dip pottery bowl with salsa and have never once put cheese in it, claiming instead that we can't just buy liquid cheese and pour that in instead, I now confirm that there is indeed liquid cheese and I expect to have some the next time we have a chip and dip party as a family. I want to enjoy my chip and dip bowl for the purpose it was made for.

I ended my day with some studying and more writing. I'm getting the hang of this living on my own business. I rather like it.