Friday, November 18, 2016

More Like 'The Girl Who Shrinks Too Slow'

Like I said the other day, Alison had asked me if I wanted to go to the temple with her today. I called Mom later and asked if she could bring up my temple recommend, but she said it had expired. Whoops. If I'd known, I could have gotten one from the bishop the other day. I'll have to make an appointment for Sunday.

I went to the grocery store by myself after horticulture class today. I picked up a gallon of milk and some ice cream, since we'd been out for about a week and I was starting to want some. I thought that I could beat the bus back to Blue Square. After all, last time I went shopping, it took the bus an hour to get back there from the time I'd left. But maybe that was a fluke. The bus beat me back by one minute, even though it would have had to sit at the transfer station for at least five. I was keeping track of its progress with the app. Its icon never turned down a huge part of its route. Hmm. Well, now I know that I ought to be patient. At least I got some good exercise.

Demetria had an opera performance in the choir hall tonight, and this one was free. Nice. For the first half of the show, there were eight Disney songs sung:



Demetria choreographed "Zero to Hero", and I thought it came out well. She was also Ariel in "Under the Sea". I didn't get the best pictures because I didn't want to be a distraction, but here you go:

Beginning of "Zero to Hero", as music starts

Demetria is on the right end

More dancing

Sebastian scolding Ariel

One of the girls in "I've Got a Dream" collects plush unicorns


Flynn was really good in "I've Got a Dream". He ran around trying to pull Rapunzel off stage, face-palming in the background and trying to avoid everyone's notice as they danced around and nearly hit or stepped on him, or pushed him into the imaginary rowboat of the lovesick girl, and made him sing.

At the end of the "Kiss the Girl" song, the lights went out right before the couple on the couch were about to kiss. Three-fourths of the audience groaned because they were so ready for it. It was funny.

After the Disney show, there was an opera geared towards kids, "The Girl Who Grew Too Fast". It was pretty cute. It's about an extremely-tall nine year old (eight or nine feet tall, so we had an actress on stilts) who is made fun of by her classmates, and she goes to see Dr. Shrink, who supposedly can shrink her. The school teacher called the doctor's office, but was told he had gone out to see an opera called "The Girl Who Grew Too Fast".

They turned on the lights and started searching the audience for the doctor. He'd fallen asleep because the opera music was soothing and boring. The actors plead with him to come forward and he refuses because he's trying to watch the show. They finally death glare him onto the stage, and he agrees to accept money, a watch, and a baseball bat as payment. The little girl behind me thought his shrinking machine was real, and kept asking her dad where they got a real shrinking machine. When the young double of the nurse came out, the girl said, "I will never, ever go into a shrinking machine". Her dad agreed that was a good idea.

After the doctor's scene, when the stage crew are changing the set, he tells the pianist not to go on with the show until he's ready, since his seat wasn't cheap. He goes to sit down, then comes back on to tell the pianist that he liked one of the earlier numbers, and starts to sing it. The pianist tells him to get off the stage so they can continue with the show, which he does, before wishing the audience goodnight and promptly "falling asleep" in the front row for most of the rest of the show. Fun times.

The evening bus wasn't running, as it was about 9:30 by this point, so Demetria and I walked back to our room and talked about what I'd thought of it. Demetria isn't in the opera, just in the Disney songs, so she said she'd only seen one scene. I got quite a kick out of that, because she knows there's a murderer in the play since she was the one who made the dynamite prop, but has no context for it otherwise. She said she'd try to look it up on YouTube. We'll see if it's quite everything she hoped it would be.