Tuesday, November 29, 2016

You Know, There Are Other Dynamics Besides Romance

I was able to talk with Demetria for the first time since she came back from break. It sounds like she had fun. She received some large packages from her family too- early Christmas presents that she wanted. Now she has this fancy piano keyboard, so she played around with that for a long time. It's pretty neat and sounds nice.

I took a bit of time this morning for myself, but I worked hard on an extra credit lifespan development assignment I had. Those things take forever, but they're very helpful in studying for the exams. Although this one took extra long, because all the page numbers were wrong, and I didn't remember reading these chapters. They weren't on our syllabus, so it was kind of a surprise to get this assignment.

I registered for housing next year, and I called Mom. She was feeling really sick, so I called her again after class to see if she was doing okay. Demetria and I watched the Season 2 finale of "Star vs. The Forces of Evil", unless it wasn't actually the season finale. It kind of felt like one though. The tables have turned dramatically!

It's nice to have the major couple in the show not involve both main characters. It's refreshing and I really like it. It's just fun that they got to have their first kiss and it wasn't a big deal because it's not meant to be the climax of the season or even the episode, and it wasn't done as a reward for disrespecting someone, disobeying orders, and murdering people or anything (Don't even talk to me about "Doctor Who". More like "Doctor What the Heck". I hate, hate, hate that show. I've never had to sit through watching something I hate more. I don't like live action much to begin with, I absolutely do not like the horror genre, I hardly like science fiction, I prefer shows where the characters speak at a pace and volume I can actually understand, and I definitely don't like obsessive romance. I was so, so absolutely disappointed in the scene where Rose gets left on the beach. I knew it was coming because people talk, so, you know, I was expecting this huge dramatic thing where the Doctor tricks her into staying behind while he selfishly runs off, and it was going to be awesome and full of character development and I was going to love him. Nope. Cliche love scene confession. I wanted to throw up. Such wasted potential. "Immortal and a twenty-something falling in love" is one of my least favorite tropes. And it keeps happening. Over. And over. And over. Try something new).

So anyway, the "Star" episode was great. "Slow motion interrupted kiss" is another of my least favorite movie moments because it's so cliche, so I just thought this was neat. Although, of course, now one of our main characters is starting to like the other, and so was really upset the entire episode about the other going on a date. That was... not awesome. I hope we're not supposed to support lashing out at a good, supportive relationship in jealousy to win over our crush. That's not a good thing to teach kids. I guess we'll have to see where the series takes us.

That was the fun part of the day, and after we watched the episode I worked on my assignment a lot longer. It was pretty late when I stopped. I drew a super quick thing that I'd been wanting to and then retired for bed. This is a busy time of year and I hope I can manage!