Saturday, November 12, 2016

Galactose, We Meet Again

I've done the math and it looks like if I continue in my current pattern, I should be able to get all As! Chocolate and horticulture classes will be close, of course, so I'll definitely want to work extra hard on them. At the very least, I should be able to pull A-minuses. That's not too bad. I can live.

I locked myself out of my bedroom as I was leaving. At least I wasn't in some embarrassing situation, like only half dressed. I still had a free lockout coupon that I could use to avoid being charged, but since the RA on call just so happened to be the RA for our floor, she didn't mind letting us keep it. Excellent. That's twice we've gotten out of spending that thing. And I'm glad I was able to contact someone, since office hours on Saturday don't start until noon. I actually didn't call her until after I came back, and things worked out.

Like I said, I headed out to clean the church this morning. That went pretty well. We were there for about an hour. It ended up taking me a bit to find a door that was actually unlocked, so I got shuffled with a pretty easy task of dusting all the pews, seats on the stands, the sacrament tables (and we have two chapels, so I was there for awhile). 

Two other girls helped me, but I don't think they were quite as efficient... or focused. I had to remind them that were supposed to get the seats on the stands, and they tried to leave me behind several times. They were also very trigger-happy with the spray bottle, so yes, the side of me flashing back to my weeks of working at the veterinary clinic cringed. We got donuts in the end, though. And cold milk.

I didn't go anywhere else for the rest of the day, aside from back to my place. I studied the PowerPoints for my chocolate class again, and rewrote all the information that seemed useful into a single note page. We're not allowed to use notes on the quiz, but writing them down again helped, I think. Although I was not prepared for this question:


I am 99% sure our teacher told us we only needed to memorize the properties of oleic acid. So I got all the others wrong. At least I didn't look up the table during the quiz. Too bad that specifically because I studied my notes, I mistook sucrose to be a polysaccharide instead of a disaccharide. Dumb galactose, getting in my way. This was a fact that wasn't in the PowerPoint, so of course when I saw three molecules, I thought they were all important. I did not count on one being useless.

Mmhm. I got some work done, and took some time to enjoy myself too. I watched a video about Butch Hartman drawing Pokemon that were described to him by his cameraman. It was really funny because he drew some excellent drawings, and would get progressively more confused about each Pokemon as he went. I talked to Demetria about dishes and we came up with a new system as to how we do them. I did some reading, and talked to a friend. Ate some food, too. I introduced Demetria to the Buster Keaton film "Sherlock Jr." tonight. Fun times.