Saturday, January 21, 2017

Cardboard Trashcan

Demetria and I went to the grocery store today. We had a successful trip, except the self check-out kept giving me grief. Apparently I'd bought too many things, so the machine wasn't happy they didn't all fit on the scale at the same time.

While we were out, we saw this dinosaur balloon. Demetria wanted to take a picture of me with it since it was taller than I was.


I made macaroni and cheese for dinner, and talked to both Mom and Dad today in the hopes of stirring the creative juices as to what I could craft for my interior design project. I finally settled on "building a trash can out of unused cardboard boxes". That's recycling! It also doesn't match with the rest of the furniture, which creates contrast (Though, I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some paint and add color, to make the contrast more obvious). It might be more contrasting if I leave it as is.

Starting with a box and two chunks of styrofoam.
The styrofoam does nothing except make the can taller.

I wasn't sure masking tape was going to work, so I cut through
the styrofoam and wove them together with a plastic shopping bag

 Holes in the box

Plastic bag woven up through the two layers of styrofoam,
through the cardboard box, and down again

Styrofoam

Cutting out the top of the box

Viewing the bottom of the box from above
  
 Used a paperclip to keep the flaps shut

A garbage bag has been added and we're done!

Lid is made from a second box, held up on the sides
and in the back with straws and more paperclips

My OTP

Once I was done with all the cutting, I threw the scraps away inside the new can. Oh, the irony.