Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Ida and Willard

Well, it was back to my "A day" classes again this morning. And luckily I wasn't late for any of them! I had English first, and that went well enough. After it was over I returned home for three hours to rest and do some textbook reading. Then I was off again early this afternoon, to the same room where I took behavior analysis and horticulture last semester. My "psychology as a career" class seems to be going fine, and hopefully it won't be a difficult one to juggle later in the semester.

I stayed on campus for the remainder of the day. There were some English assignments on a different page that I hadn't finished copying over into my planner, so I opened up my Chromebook and got to work on those. Eventually I decided to go to the fine arts building sooner rather than later for interior design. 

Except, interior design isn't in the fine arts building. That's where my statistics class is. Luckily I remembered this as I was waiting at the bus stop, and headed towards the quad and the proper building on foot. I kept track of the bus on my phone, and reached my building about the same time the bus reached the stop. Knowing the red route, it would've been a ten minute ride.

I was half an hour early to interior design, which was rather preferable to being late. I do believe that class will be difficult. I don't have the best sense of focal points, apparently. We viewed several pictures and were told to take note of the first, second, and third things are eyes traveled to, and determine what the focal point of the piece was. Here was one such painting we viewed:

"Ida Reading a Letter"

Personally, my eyes started at Ida's face, moved to the doorknob, and then swept around and focused on that dark patch beneath the table. Try as I might, I couldn't focus elsewhere on the painting without being drawn back there (The shadow did look a bit darker on the projector). Apparently Ida is supposed to be the focal point, however. Even though that wasn't where my eyes wanted to be.

An Andrew Wyeth painting I believe might be called "Willard's Jacket"

I had a similar problem with this piece. The class was divided between claims that the jacket was the focal point, and that the apple was. Then there was me, who struggled to focus on anything except the black corner of the painting. I pretended to be in support of the jacket side. I've never had much of an interest in museum-type art, and I guess this is why. Maybe I just don't see art the way most people do?

After that, I ate dinner at the Aggie Marketplace and waited it out until it was time for my Institute class. I only have Institute once a week, though the class is ninety minutes long and runs from 5:30 to 7:00. This is the same teacher that Demetria had last term, and I think he'll be enjoyable. He told us a lot of interesting information about Hebrew culture, high priests, incense lighting, and shovels shaped like right hands that were used to ceremonially pick up coal in the temple. 

We talked about marrying age during those times, John the Baptist, and visits from angels. He even told us a bit about Catholic beliefs that I thought was fascinating- apparently Catholics don't believe that Mary and Joseph had other kids after Jesus, even though the Bible clearly says they do (James, hello!) It was interesting to learn about.

I read a few textbook chapters after returning to Blue Square. I called Mom to talk to her about the printer and my day, though I guess I interrupted her in a ward missionary meeting she was attending. Oops. 

Demetria helped me to set up the required Pinterest board for my interior design class. Interior design is something I've wanted to take for years but never had the chance to in high school. I just hope this teacher doesn't make the subject miserable. I'm willing to give him time to prove his worth. 

Dad called me later just as I was about to call him. Between the two of us, we were able to sort out the printer's problems. It will be nice to have it working once again.

Wednesday is my longest day of the week in terms of classes, but not only do I start my first class of Thursday at 10:30, I only have two classes to balance. Of course, they're statistics and abnormal psychology. Let's see how they go!