Monday, January 9, 2017

It's a Wet, Wet, Wet, Wet World

There was so much rain today. With the snow piled up to the sides, the water had nowhere to really go and flooded the sidewalks. Like a fool, I forgot my umbrella this morning, so I braved the rain without it. At least I had my hat.

My first stop was English class. This is my smallest class and is set up like a high school room with desks in rows. A very, very small high school room. I think I'll enjoy my teacher, and writing is a subject I'm good at. Instead of doing a final test, we need to write a final persuasive paper. Hopefully I can manage that- I doubt it will be quite as easy as it appears right now.

I have a three-hour break until my next class on Mondays, so I returned to Blue Square. After some lunch and some time spent relaxing, I headed out again. The button for the elevator is broken, so I had to walk down the stairs. You can get up to the fourth floor fine- you just can't ride down from it. Yesterday I went down to Floor 3 and called the elevator, just out of curiosity to see if things worked. That was my first time realizing that Floors 2 and 3 have two buttons to call the elevator- up and down. It makes sense, but I hadn't thought about it since I normally just go between the ground floor and top.

Since it wasn't raining out, I didn't take my umbrella, though I regretted that after my next class (which was "Psychology as a Career" with the same teacher who taught my lifespan development class last term, and whom I rather like). The rain was coming down so hard! There was thunder and lightning and everything. I waited it out for a few minutes, then when it lightened made a break for home. I figured I'd rest for an hour before I moved on again, and could grab my umbrella while I was at it.

Of course, the umbrella wouldn't open. Maybe it's rusted shut or something. So that left me with a useless umbrella to carry in the rain. At least the rain had lightened. Though, I made the mistake of moving up the hill and across the street to a different bus stop that supposedly was supposed to have a shuttle coming sooner. Nope. It ended up taking twice as long, the bus that was supposed to take longer made it to the Blue Square stop first, and I was late to my next class. Well. I tried.

That class was interior design. It doesn't look like it will be a very easy one, but I'll do my best. My first assignment is to sign a "memorandum of understanding" that says stuff like "I have read the syllabus". One of the agreements I'm supposed to sign is, "I will not ask questions to which the answer has already been supplied (whether on the syllabus or in class)." Oh boy. He also said he won't tell us if something is in the syllabus- he'll just blank us, so we have no idea if he's read and received the message. Also, we're required to have a Pinterest account and use it during this class. Additional 'Oh boy'.

I'm supposed to print the agreement, sign it, and scan it in. I worked for awhile tonight, trying a bunch of different things to get the printer working again. It always says it's "Ready", but refuses to print, and says that "a previous printing job may be causing problems". It continues to say this even after I clear all previous printing jobs. Hmm. I guess I'll have to make a stop by the library tomorrow. At least the scanning part I can handle. If I were going to lose access to one device, I'd rather have my scanner.

And I did a Youngblood screenshot redraw from the "Fenton Menace" episode tonight. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.


How appropriate. He fights like a cowboy.

Guess I'll have to stop drawing so much now that school is picking up. My last hurrah. For now.

Demetria came back tonight around 9:45. I let her open a belated Christmas present- a Pillage and Plunder game that she gets to keep. She was pretty happy with it. Now she's getting settled in, and I'm packing my backpack to face my second day back at school. One down, another four months to go!